Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

More new passies

karyn1
16 years ago

I received my order from Zone 9. I got a biflora and a Sunburst. They are both beautiful and the biflora has lots of buds. Hopefully they won't drop from shock. The plants are big and all need transplanting in about a week or two after they adjust. I'm really excited about one of the plants that's not a passie. My Strongylodon macrobotrys is beautiful and it has small spikes of buds!!!!! I really, really, really hope I can get them to mature and bloom. The Rangoon creeper also has buds. I'd love to buy one of everything that Bob carries. I'm still waiting on a Queen's Wreath and a variegated Chalice vine. I keep telling myself that's going to be it for the season but I know better. lol

Karyn

Comments (14)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

Nice purchases! I also got a strongylodon from them. Mine was the smaller size pot, so while a decent size (and much larger plant than I prob would have gotten elsewhere for the price) it doesn't have flower spikes. Darn!! I shoulda got the bigger one LOL! Mine is very healthy and starting new growth. I need to repot because it started growing roots like mad and are now showing out the bottom. What kind of trellis do you think these need? (are they twining?) Mine seems to just sort of sprawl lol.
    I have got so many plants this season (all diff sources) that I am seriously running out of room. I still have a few more orders out there too. Brugs, hibiscus etc. lol. Hope I will have room if they ever get here! :D
    I think sunburst is the easiest to root of all the passies. Didn't know you didn't already have one :P
    I still need to make my trip to Tuscon to get the native AZ passie.. sigh...
    ~SJN

• chena
    16 years ago

Congrats Karyn!! I got mine as well Crimson Tears has vines 10' long...I got 2 others that are just as beautiful..Platyloba and sanguinolenta.. This is my first order from them but I am sold...LOL Kinda scary they have sooo many beautiful things
    Chena
    BTW Karyn do you have Chocolate Vine??? I have some seed..

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

SJN mine was the smaller qt size jade. Bob was out of the gallon plants when I placed my order. He recently picked up a huge collection of fragrant plants from Thailand. I have the list somewhere but there's some really interesting plants. He's waiting to see how they grow for a few months before he puts them on the site, if he decides that they are worth selling. The Jade really needs a conservatory climate, warm, not too hot and very humid. You have much better conditions for growing these plants. I'm hoping that I can get it through the winter. It needs similar conditions as a Theobroma cocao which I also have. The jade gets huge, 30-40 feet with thick stems. If you look in the vines or tropicals forums there's a couple people that have some impressive jades. I'm not quite sure how they have them growing but they appear to grow up hang down from the top of the greenhouse and these aren't your little backyard GH's. lol

Chena have you been able to germinate your Akebia (chocolate vine)? I've tried a number of times and failed every one. That damn vine is the bane of my existance. lol It's supposed to be very easy to grow once it's sprouted. It's hardy to very low temps. The house where the swap was had a huge beautiful Akebia that was covered with blooms. If I can find some room I might ask for a cutting. I've been told that they are very easy from cuttings. I've also heard that you need both varieties in order to produce seed pods. I've tried seeds from both varieties and failed miserably with each one. There's a 3 and a 5 leaved Akebia. I think most people grow A. quinata (5 leaved).
    Karyn

• chena
    16 years ago

I do have some that geriminated.. I have both varieties I'll stick some in for you...This was very fresh seed..You probably took to good of care in the process.. I soaked them for 2 days put them in a wet PT and put them on the dryer..LOL

16 years ago

So not fair mine has no spikes lol!~oh well.. It is doing well but it is not humid here in the least. Very Very dry and it doesn't seem to mind so far. It is on the patio that gets filtered afternoon sun. So it must be able to take less humidity than the theombra cocao because the one I used to have wanted more humidity than I had, even in Southern LA! AEAE bananas did well there but the theombra suffered even under the citrus tree where I had planted it as it is an understory plant, and it was so humid there that it literally rained dew every morning!

I did get a 15 ft by 10 ft shade house erected over the weekend and will add the misting system this weekend, so maybe that will help some. Got some of the brugs, passies, heliconia, gingers,monsteras and hibiscus moved in there. I found that my pineapple has a pineapple coming up -yeah!! It looks really red lol.
    I have never had much luck with akebia seeds either.
    ~SJN

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I so need a shade house in my yard. I have virtually no shade except what is provided by other plants. I could bring stuff up to our farm and put them in one of the greenhouses but then I wouldn't be able to enjoy them. When we first bought this house 20 some odd years ago I loved that it was so sunny but as I got more into gardening I found so many plants that I just can't grow. I can put very short shade plants like native gingers and trout lilies under the azaleas but if it's more then a foot tall, forget it : ( I'm still getting leaf burn on a number of my plants that haven't been acclimated yet. It's pretty much cosmetic but it does look kind of nasty. All but one of my passies are growing in full sun even though they aren't supposed to. They actually look good. My citrus trees and brugs look the worst. My Buddha's hand and Variegated Pink Lemon lost every single leaf from sunburn but the blooms were unaffected. They did look pretty weird with branches covered with blooms and no foliage but it has started to grow back. I don't remember ever having so much sun damage but I think it's because the plants went out so much later this year and the sun was stronger by the time they were put out. Damn freaky weather!
    Karyn

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

Can you plant it maybe on the east side of the house, so that it gets morning sun but is shaded during the hottest part of the day?

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My yard and house are situated in a way that there's no really shaded area in the afternoon until about 4pm. I take advantage of the shade provided by some of my other plants and structures in the yard.
    Karyn

16 years ago

I hear ya karyn, I also use plants to shade plants. First is the tall ones, the medium go under them, and the small and seedlings etc under the medium.. Getto, but it works :D Then its just the tall ones then you have to worry about lol. I have found that living in a cooler climate doesn't necessarily keep your plants from intense rays. Altitude has everything to do with sunburn and leaves. When I lived at @ 7000 ft. in a zn 3, everything burned badly, including me lol. Worse than here in the low desert.
    My shade house is just the sunshade cloth purchased at Lowe's. It says 75% more shade. It really didn't look like it would be that much, but it sure makes a huge difference. It looks like a bright greenhouse in there but no hot burning rays and breezier. The shade screen only comes about 6ft wide so I got 30ft length and cut in half, and sewed the 2 together lengthwise, with a thick Dacron (sorta clothlike) flyfishing line to make the top. We used metal pipes and fittings for the frames. My dh did most of that part because he is more handy than I in construction matters. I still dont have enough room lol. Might rig up some more along the fenceline somehow for the shorter things. It seems like it never ends lol...
    ~SJN

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's amamzing how much of a difference a shade cloth can make. The greenhouse temps drop well over 20 degrees when we put the shade cloth on. There's really no place that I could rig one up in my backyard without making it look really gross. lol I have very little yard in the back and almost 4000 sq ft of multi level decking and a pool. We have an outdoor bar area that's covered with kind of a lattice type roof but if I put plants in there you couldn't get to the sink of fridge. My DH gets mad enough that I put plants all over the top of the bar. lol My only hope is that he'll finally decide to put up an awning outside off the dining room. We've discussed it but that's just one more expense and our house is already a money pit. Too much frigging upkeep.
    Karyn

• aloysia
    16 years ago

I finally found a new passflora - p. tulae! I can't believe the lovely little plant and pink showy flowers, I'm amazed! Experience, anyone?

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'd never heard of it but just looked it up. What a beautiful bloom. Where did you find it?
    Karyn

• chena
    16 years ago

That is very pretty!!! I saw that Krutz carries them but looks like almost everything over there is out of stock..
    Chena

• aloysia
    16 years ago

Here in Croatia, believe it or not! lol

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts