Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dimples31312

Help ID Please

dimples31312
15 years ago

I dug this plant yesterday. I had seen a Maypop blooming last year and never made it back to (save) it from the ditch. Have read alot of the post there and the fever has hit me. I just have to have one. Yesterday I went back to were I had saw it. The only vines were these. Not really sure if its a passion or a weed. Its not blooming. I only got one it was a runner the root i got was about 3 ft long. It wilted some yesterday, Planted it a pot and watered. Today it looks good.

Thanks for any help,

Dimples31312

{{gwi:239967}}

{{gwi:239968}}

Comments (8)

• jblaschke
    15 years ago

Looks like you got yourself a passion vine. You can tell because the leaves alternate on the stem, and the tendrils grow from nodes at the base of the leaf. That's also where the flowers will sprout. And 3 feet of root is a very good amount. You'll have new vines sprouting up along the length of it any day now, knowing maypops as I do!

Avoid the temptation to over-water. If it starts looking wilty, give it a good soaking, but as long as it's in good shape, moderation is the key. I can't tell you how many passis I drowned trying to protect them from the heat of summer before I wised up.

• passionlove
    15 years ago

I'm new to this addicting hobby myself, but it looks to me like you got the incarnata passion vine.
    check the link below to see an image of my incarnata flower.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• dimples31312
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you both for the reply. Do I need to plant in the ground or can it be left in the pot? I read somewhere here that you 2 plants to cross for fruit, Is this ture? Back to the ditch in a few days there were bunches. LOL

• passionlove
    15 years ago

Good question. I'm still battling the same question myself. I have one in a container doing great, and one I planted in the ground and it is wiltng. We have clay soil here, and I know that passiflora's don't like it. Mine seem to do better in containers so far. If you want fruits, you would need another plant.

• jblaschke
    15 years ago

Once it's established, your incarnata will go nuts in clay. It just takes a little while to get settled. They aren't normally well-suited for containers, as they grow so large. But give it a shot with a large pot and you should have some success.

Incarnata plants do need pollination from a separate plant. The trouble is, they send out so many underground runners that finding one that isn't genetically identical can be tricky. When you collect pollen, try to find flowers as far from where you harvested your plant as possible. That's the best advice I can give you.

• dimples31312
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks,
    I have seen another place one was blooming about 15 miles from the one that I dug. That will be good if I can found it again. At less now I know what I am looking for. LOL I will sure give it a try. If not maybe I will try to trade with someone. If theres a will there a way.
    Thanks again

• dimples31312
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to ya'll that helped ID my plant. Just wanted to let you know its going great. I found another plant and still have them pots. I want to plant them in the ground this fall or should I wait until spring?
    Want to share a couple of pictures.
    Dorothy

• diaberry
    15 years ago

I have found passion vine growing wild...It has all the attributes of incarnada except the lobes of the leaf are so rounded. I have bought and found other wild passion vine, but the leaf was very pointed. Any ideas as to this variety. It isn't just one vine...there are many in this area. I am puzzled ..Hope to post a picture soon.