Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silybum

Edulis - Black Knight & Frederick - HELP

silybum
18 years ago

Wow, I didn't think this would be so complicated, but reading the garden web is making me a little scared.

I just purchased these two Passiflora, still have not transplanted them, getting the area ready.

Will they pollinate together, or will I have to help them? I am working on an establishing a completely edible landscape, and was hoping for fruit.

Are they better planted in containers - I read that on one forum - said I would get more flowers if roots were contained, verses more vine if the roots have too much room to spread.

Comments (6)

• wilmington_islander
    18 years ago

If you are in a zone 9 or better than you should be fine with these choices, and both are self fertile, but will do better if planted within 40 or 50 feet of one another. Also, most self-fertile passifloras need a little help...when I have the time I hand pollinate mine with caerulea pollen now that my edulis/ mate is dead. A fine paintbrush or q-tip works well. If you are in USDA zone 8b or lower, than plant it in a pot. In the MNW, I would say a 9A is even iffy in your area, becasue of your relative lack of solar radiation in the winter.

• silybum
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks. I think I am i a zone 9 or 10, those maps are so hard to read (I wish I could just type in my zip to find out - but I will ask next time I am in my local nursery). I live in Redwood City, Ca, which is Sunset 17. Helping pollinate sounds like fun, but I've never done it before. I am taking a gardening class (designing your edible landscape) this weekend at Common Ground in Palo Alto, perhaps the teacher will be able to demonstrate.

• flicker
    18 years ago

I live in zone 8b in south louisiana. E.Frederic produced tons of beautiful fruit when planted in the ground. But we don't have enought days of heat to ripen the fruit. What a shame. In zone 9 there is enough. I have many passiflora. Some are species vines (not hybrids)that set some fruit but none are edible even when ripe.

• wilmington_islander
    18 years ago

I don't think it is your lack of heat, flicker. Several cultivars of edulis do well in colder parts of the Bay area, where there is virtually no heat units. Granted, they do need some, but I suspect you had a 12-18 month "late bloomer" ( didn't bloom until the late summer or fall). Most edulis ( purple kind) in North america tend to bloom prolifically in the March-to May time frame, and then sporadically thereafter, if at all. The yellow form, edulis flavicarpa is almost always blooming, but it doesn't "outproduce" the purple, and is more sour, and more cold tender. I doubt I could get away with one in my climate...my experimental "ruby glow" got fried by the freezes even though it was up against the south side of my house.....my edulis on my northern fence came through the winter with only about 25% leaf loss. Last year, all of my passionfruits were ripened BY JULY 4, so, you Cajun country folks get plenty enough heat. Plant it in a protected area and give it another try!

• maiolo
    18 years ago

i just bought 1 Passiflora edulis plant from an online store.
    does this mean i should have bought 2 or i will never get fruit?

also, the site mentioned that it's planted in a 3 gal pot (large plant on trellis).
    does anyone know when i can expect fruit from this once i plant it and also get another to help polinate?

thank you.

Sponsored