Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Well, THIS is unexpected!

Posted by jblaschke 8b TX (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 07 at 11:58

Look what popped out on my incarnata the other day:

TexasWhite

A white "Alba" sport. Shocked the heck out of me, I can tell you. The flower was looking a little ragged, so I suspect that it actually bloomed the day before, but had stayed open a second day as well. The ovary was very under developed and the stigmas hadn't reflexed, so the flower was sterile. The flower itself was 2.5" in diameter. For comparison, here's a pic of what a "normal" flower on this vine looks like:

FirstMaypop07

These things measure up to 4" across, so the white sport differs significantly. Neither the flowers that bloomed on that particular vine ahead of the white sport, nor the ones that have bloomed after it show any hints of white. This one, apparently, was a one-off.

And just for funsies, here's a pic of some of the fruit I have maturing on the plant right now.

TexasFruit

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Well, THIS is unexpected!

Is it the only one one that stem? Just thinking that if you took cuttings from it, would it come true?

LOVE the Last Photo.... All That YUMMY Fruit

o

• Posted by chena z7 Texas (My Page) on
    Wed, May 23, 07 at 13:50

WOW!! How cool is that!!! That stray is a beauty..LOL The last pic is Yummy!! maybe a little vodka~passion fruit puree' HMMM... :)
Chena

o

Ninecrow, nope, that was the only white on that stem. All the others (and two more have opened since) have been "normal."

Chena, I plan on taking a bunch of the fruit this season and using it to make a passion fruit mead. I've had some success with a raspberry mead and a spiced mead in the past, and currently have a batch of prickly pear fruit mead aging. But passion fruit has been a longstanding goal of mine. :-)

o

Your fruit looks great. Odd looking white bloom. What in the world is a fruit mead?
Karyn

o

Karyn, technically, a fruit mead is called "melomel." It's a honey-based wine with fruit added during the fermentation process. And certain fruits have their own particular name. Pear mead is called "Perry," apple mead is "Cyser" and so on. Mead with herbs and spices is called "Metheglin," a grape-honey mix is called "Pyment." There's a tremendous number of variations possible, only a few of which I've attempted thus far (with mixed results).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here