Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do I do now?

Posted by greylady-gardener (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 08 at 12:06

I received some seeds that were just given to me as 'passionflower', so I have no idea what they are going to look like in the end. I did look up how to grow them from seeds and had success with the two pots that I planted. The smaller one is approx. 7 inches tall and hasn't started to actually look like a vine yet, but the larger one (planted at the same time and from the same seeds) is just over 33 inches tall and trying to twine around nearby plants. Right now they are sitting side by side on the window sill where they have been since they sprouted. My question is.......what do I do with them now?
Should I pot them together in a large planter? Can they go outside for the summer and if so then what conditions? How should I support them in the pot? I would think that the one at least is going to be out of control and winding around everything if I don't give it something to grow on. What do you all do with yours? I need to have an idea of how big a pot to put them in and how big a support/what to use as a support.
thanks in advance from a total newbie to this plant! :)
gg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do I do now?

Passion flowers are tendril climbers--they'll send out tendrils that wrap around plants, objects etc. for support. If they're actually twining--ala Morning Glory or honeysuckle, I'm afraid you don't have passion flowers at all.

Depending on the species (and the odds are you've got either caerulea or incarnata) you can either plant them outside depending on your climate, or put them in a large pot to bring in over the winter. Almost all passis love bright sun and do well in full exposure. Just be sure that when moving them from the shelter of indoors you acclimate them in partial shade for several days to a week before giving them full sun, otherwise they'll burn just as you or I would.

o
RE: What do I do now?

Thanks for your reply jblaschke. I am pretty sure that they must be incarnata as when I just googled the seed image of that one, it certainly looks like it. The seeds do seem to be dimpled.
The plants do have tendrils that are doing the wrapping around the other plants. One is especially long as it is reaching out on a side where there is nothing to latch on to. I am in Z-6 (SW Ontario Canada) so I will definitely plant them in a pot so they can be overwintered inside.
gg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here