Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jblaschke

Foetida Jackpot!

jblaschke
16 years ago

Okay, so I got word from Texas Madrone Nursery the other day that they'd located a couple of passiflora foetida var. gossypiifolia for me. This is a Texas native, and I'm working to collect all the species that occur here naturally (as well as a bunch that don't). Gossypiifolia isn't common in nurseries so I was pretty jazzed that they had two for me. It's a small, private nursery outside of San Marcos with sales by appointment only, so I made mine for today and just got back.

Dan Hosage met me and found one of my promised plants immediately. It was an 8" vine in a one-gallon container. So far so good. When he couldn't find the other, he said he knew where some others were. As he led me farther back into the "jungle" of his plants, he asked what price I'd been quoted via email. I told him $3.50, but that seemed low for one gallon plants. He said that was their going rate. Then he announced "Found one!" and proceeded to untangle A 7 FOOT LONG PASSION VINE from the mix of plants and hand it to me. A 7-frellin'-foot foetida growing from a one-gallon pot. Which he sold to me for $3.50 because that's their going rate! He was amused by my gasping for breath at the incredible deal.

We talked for a while more about plants and passion flowers, and I promised to bring him some fresh incarnata seed in a couple months once mine have some ripe fruit. Heck, for the deal he gave me, I'm going home and digging up root suckers for him! He also told me how best to propagate the foetida seeds, which was very cool. The man knows his stuff, most definitely. To top it off, on the way out he uprooted a silverleaf sunflower about 4" tall that was growing in an unwanted location and gave it to me.

If any of you happen to be planning a trip that takes you through San Marcos, Texas, and want to get passiflora foetida var. gossypiifolia, then I can't recommend them strongly enough!

Comments (9)

• ninecrow
    16 years ago

Ooooooooooooh VERY Nice jblaschke
    Please share some photos when you can and Please can you share some tips on getting the foetida seed to germanate?
    Thank You

• angie83
    16 years ago

I want too Iv looked for some time for these thx for the post I will sure look in to this .

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ninecrow, remember that foetida has dozens of varieties that are distinct enough to be considered subspecies so what works for one might not work for another. Gossypiifolia ranges from deep into Mexico to South Texas (it will grow out-of-doors from roughly Austin southward, but in its native range it doesn't grow north of San Antonio) so is one of the more cold-hardy foetidas. Arizonica may be more cold hardy, but I believe it was reclassified recently and is no longer a foetida, but a closely allied species.

Anyhoo, Hosage told me to not bother planting any seed until June. If planted fresh, it will readily sprout, but the seedlings really need heat to flourish and harden off. In cooler weather they're more susceptible to die off, root rot, etc. The key is "the hotter, the better." This may well hold true for other tropical varieties as well.

He also said that unlike other passiflora like incarnata or caerulea, this one will happily grow in waterlogged, boggy conditions once it is established. He collected the seeds originally from wild plants growing on the damp coastal plains outside of Port Aransas, Texas some years back. That's very flat land with poor drainage and lots of salt carried by the wind from the coast. And when the land there isn't boggy wet, it's parched and drought-stricken. So it's a pretty durable plant. :-)

• ninecrow
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info jblaschke...

I'll post photos of my foetida When it Decides to Flower. Think I need another to get fuller Fruit.... *Sigh* So I'm looking for some ideas, looking into what might work in a Hot Sunny Window here in England...

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What variety do you have? Do you know? Both of my gossypiifolia were grown from seed (they're not clones) so they'll pollenate each other and I'll have more seed than I can use. If you don't mind having foetida mutts, I'd be happy to send you some to grow pollenator plants for yours.

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My acquisitions. All 7'8" of them.

• ninecrow
    16 years ago

Thank You for posting the Photos jblaschke, Might have Teeny Tiny Buds on mine.... Please post photos of your Flowers and I'll post mine
    Thanks

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Good deal. I'm glad you were finally able to find it and such a great price! What else did he have growing? Anything interesting?
    Karyn

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They had lots of interesting Texas natives, vines, trees, shrubs etc. But I didn't have time to linger, unfortunately.

Sponsored