Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
passiefarm

Grafted passiflora

passiefarm
9 years ago

Any passiflora enthusiasts out there that are experimenting with grafting?Fruiting varieties of greatest interest, but also collect hybrids as I run across them. Located in Central Florida, West coast.

Comments (7)

• morningloree
    9 years ago

I have not tried grafting. I have 2 fruiting varieties: 'Purple Possum' and 'Panama Red.' I live in Central Florida towards the East Coast. I have many more hybrids that aren't known for their fruiting abilities.

• greenman62
    9 years ago

well, not exactly with grafting, but i broke my possum purple by accident.
    the top half was barely hanging on.
    it was about 7-8 inches tall at the time.
    its a few inches taller now.

it was obviously still getting nutrients to the top leaves though, because its still growing from the top.
    it started growing from the bottom - soil line, as well.

I wrapped the break in peat moss and taped it up like an air layer.

since the top half is still growing, i hate to chop it off.
    its been a couple of weeks, i guess i should at least peek and see if it has roots.
    i might wait a week so it can have some good stable growth

it would be nice to get 2 plants from a screw up

• gardenper
    9 years ago

I get plenty of new plants just from the runners growing up everywhere. I either let them grow where they are or I pull them up and then plant them in pots. Essentially, that makes them a cutting that needs to root up again, and it works to do that way also, to get more plants.

• eristal
    9 years ago

We grafted a few Passiflora as an experiment for heat tolerance, as we are in a very hot, dry area in summer, and we would like very much to grow some from the Tacsonia subgenus, which generally like it cool and moist. The experiments are young... only 10 feet tall or so now. What is your question? Maybe I can assist.

• passiefarm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trying to find anyone who has experience grafting P. edulis, primarily for disease resistance (nematodes in Florida). Unsure what rootstocks might offer the best performance.

• RetiredFlorida
    9 years ago

Found this interesting article online. Not familiar with p.laurifolia but it suggests it is resistant to nematode damage;

Here is a link that might be useful: State of Florida Study

• RetiredFlorida
    9 years ago

Sorry the link didn't work and I could find it again. But since I was interested in your question, I did further research. I found a question like yours posed in 1997 and her is what was said "In a message dated 97-12-20 14:40:48 EST, you write:

> I was wondering if someone could advise on
    > passiflora species for European zone 9-10 but
    > which are resistant to nematodes. Here, for
    > example P. edulis (common purple fruit) suffers
    > a lot from these nasties and typically only
    > lasts a few (5-6) years in good shape. I've
    > got P. edulis flavicarpa (a Brazil variety with
    > large fruits - I think it may be OuroPretano).
    > It is their second year and so far so good (except
    > for the snails :-( ).
    > >>
    P.Laurifolia, platyloba, cincinnata, coccinea, vitifolia, and incense all work
    well here.

Ron Boender
    Fort Lauderdale Florida "

Hope this helps. I know of many huge p.vitifolia vines here locally, that seem to be unfazed by nematodes.