Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbms88

Flowering: seeds vs ??

bbms88
12 years ago

I am new to Passion Flower plants, having bought one (mislabeled belotii) that flowered really well, and raised several other plants from seed. The ones from seed (Edulis, I think) grew well, but did not flower. The belotii died during the winter, but to my surprise, several sprang up about 5' away from the original, and now one has a bud!

The ones from seed did not die, and are getting really large, but no buds.

Is there a trick for getting flowers from plants grown from seed?

Thanks! Mark

Comments (7)

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I've been told that some seed grown passifloras never flower. That hasn't happened to me yet but some of my seed grown plants have taken a few years to bloom. You might want to try giving them some extra potassium as that's supposed to encourage flowering. If space isn't an issue I'd just wait and see what hapens. Good luck.

• eristal
    12 years ago

First off, what makes you so sure that it was mislabeled?

I have had some Passiflora bloom withing 6 months from seed, and others we have had for 3 or 4 years without a bud. Average seems to be about 18 months. Also keep in mind that some plants need to get to a certain size before they will bloom properly, ie P. parrite, P. membranacae.

Eric

• bbms88
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"First off, what makes you so sure that it was mislabeled?" Because of the three I bought, two leafed out with skinny leaves, and the belotii had much larger leaves, and when it bloomed, the consensus was the plant was a belotii. I had not heard of a belotii until it bloomed.

• eristal
    12 years ago

Now I am even more confused. The one in the picture looks like P.x belotii to me.

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Eric I agree, this is a confusing post. I think the ones in the pic are his Belotii and the plants in question aren't pictured. I believe this is the person that asked about his red stemmed passion vine in a previous thread. The pictured vine also has a bud and he said the unknown hadn't budded but his Belotii has.

• bbms88
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought I was clear, but I guess I wasn't. The pics are of the ones mentioned in the "red stem" post, and are belotii. My question was, do plants grown by seed have less of a tendency to bloom, as opposed to other ways of propagation, like the surprise "rootings" from the belotii I thought was killed by the cold. The others (different type) are way bigger than the "rootings," but have no buds.

• eristal
    12 years ago

I think I'm clear now.

If you are comparing the same species of Passiflora, asexual propagation will almost always produce flowers faster than seed grown plants. Comparing one species/hybrid to another, the type means much more than whether it is from seed or not.

Many Passiflora need to approach a certain size before they will bloom, and some require a massive root system beforehand, (which can go hand in hand, but not necessarily). You could have seedlings that are large, but do not have a large established root zone compared to the ones in the ground. Of course it is unlikely you are growing P. x belotti from seed, so this comparison may be pointless.

I hope this helps a little,
    Eric

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz