Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mhagood_gw

looking for maypop to grow right now

mhagood
18 years ago

Hi -- my first time here. I can't find a local source for a maypop passion flower (passiflora incarnata). Anybody have any tips? And does it climb well? Will it need a trellis to climb up the side of my house, or will it climb a stout string?

Thanks,

Martha in Norfolk

Comments (10)

• flicker
    18 years ago

Passiflora climb with tendrils that reach out and wind around whatever isn't too thick. It will climb string just fine.
    If your area has a garden club or a group of native plant gardeners, they will probably know where you can buy, beg, or dig your own maypop!!

• kayjones
    18 years ago

Just to make you aware: this vine is HIGHLY invasive! Once you have it, it will take over your world. It is beautiful and smells like peanut butter, with butterflies and hummers galore, but it will come up EVERYWHERE!

• chills71
    18 years ago

Kayjones...did you find it invasive in Mo, zone 5? I haven't been able to get it to establish here, and this is my third year trying.

I'm hoping that one of last years will pop up sometime.

!Chills

• kayjones
    18 years ago

Oh, YES! For me, it came up from my rose garden, where I WANTED it, under a concrete sidewalk and double driveway, to EVERYWHERE I didn't want it.

• redpass
    18 years ago

There is a source in Virginia that will supply you with Passiflora incarnata and incarnata alba. For $5.50 you get a nice small clump that will establish quickly. Currently they are out of the standard purple incarnata but have a good supply of the alba.

I've had my vine planted next to the foundation of our home and get explosive growth during the growing season with well over 1000 flowers easily by the time the vine dies back. Every spring when the vine reemerges I find only the portion very closely positioned near the concrete foundation survives and the plant doesn't live up to its invasive reputation.

You can get this by logging on the net and searching out 'Botanique.' They are a big supplier of carnivorous plants.

You can get good plants of the purple standard variety at 'One Green World' by logging on to their web site..they are a fruit plant supplier with a small selection of Passiflora. I have the same experience growing their material like the alba. Good luck.

• mhagood
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the good help and sharing of experiences.

Martha

• chills71
    18 years ago

That Botanique source looks great, but is unfortunately currently not accepting orders (in fact the website can only be viewed by checking google's cache.

Sad, I would have checked in regularily to get another purple clone (maybe theirs is hardier than the one I have been trying to grow).

~Chills

• ILuvGinger
    18 years ago

It's important that your incarnata came from a good hardy source. For instance, the same species that came from Florida, won't over winter here while the same species from.. Upstate New York would here in zone 7.

• eyeckr
    18 years ago

I have quite a few viable maypop seeds available as I successfully germinated a some plants recently. I'm in VA Bch, in your local area. Just e-mail me and I can get some to you.

• ttowner50
    12 years ago

I am in Tulsa,Ok. I have been growing maypop for years. YES IT IS INVASIVE! I have it on a chain link fence. I comes up in the yard and I just pull it out or mow over it. DO NOT plant it within 30ft of where you don't want it coming up. You will be amazed how far out the roots grow. Make sure the neighbor doesn't mind, it will be coming up in his yard too.
    I wouldn't mind sending out some, but I don't want to get into paying postage.