Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie questions about growing passiflora in South Florida

Posted by julieinFL 10 (My Page) on
Sun, May 19, 13 at 15:35

I'm new to growing passion flowers - saw a vine at a nursery and fell in love. One of my first 2 vines has taken off and covered almost 5' of fence in about 2 months. The second died within weeks - planted about 10' away. Both were Lady Margaret. I went back and got 2 additional vines ($10 each - great price, I think) - but the flowers are different - large (maybe 5" in diameter?) and a lavender/light purple color.

I apologize for not having a specific name, but can anyone advise on best light conditions for the vines in general? A friend has one that's in a shady location and is doing superbly, but of my 2 Lady Margarets, only the one in the sunnier spot survived. I'd like to plant on the East side of the house (due East, with lots of morning sun but shady during hot afternoons), but don't want to kill them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie questions about growing passiflora in South Florida

I have some in hot sun and some in all shade - all are doing well. Lady margaret is a very hardy Passiflora, so I'd dig it up and check the roots - are there worms? Is there root rot? Is it too wet? Is it too dry? Is it root-bound?

o

Thanks KayJones - I checked on the roots - no root rot, no worms, and didnt seen to be root bound. I'm not sure about wet/dry. It was watered daily but not saturated. The one in the sunnier spot did just fine with the same conditions, so I'm assuming the watering was done correctly...perhaps it was just not a healthy plant? My mom had the same experience - same nursery (1 lived, 1 died). I've planted my 2 new vines and they seem to be happy for now.

How much should I be watering them?

o

Juan, check the soil moisture, either with a water meter or your finger. If it's dry up to your middle knuckle, it probably could use some water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here