Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seaecho1

Which should I get? So many choices!

seaecho1
12 years ago

Hi - I'm brand new to Passies, but I grow lots of tropical plants indoors. What Passies would be good for a West window in S. California high desert area? Remember, I'm a beginner, so need confidence builders. The plants would get about 4 hours of full or filtered sun per day. I love the looks of Vitifolia, Caerulea, Elizabeth, Amethystina, Lady Margaret, Violette, Blue Bouquet and Panda. Do any of these do well as indoor plants exclusively?

Comments (9)

• eristal
    12 years ago

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you what would be best indoors, because I have never grown that way. However, perhaps I can offer some insight into growing those outdoors.

Depending on your exact area, I would guess:

P. caerulea and P. 'Blue Bouquet' should live outdoors all year, and perhaps P.'Panda'. P. 'Lady Margaret' should also survive, but it needs protection from winter water. All of those will take massive quantities of sun.

P. vitifolia and P.'Elizabeth' can also both take lots of sun, but will not take frost. P. amethystina and P. 'Violetta' are a bit more tender overall than the rest you mentioned.

For indoors exclusively, all I can offer is that a friend of mine has bloomed P.'Sherry' indoors. She is very nearly the same plant as P. 'Lady Margaret'.

Please realize that these plants can become very large and difficult to contain if they are happy. Some of the ones you mentioned can grow 20-30 feet in a season.

Hopefully someone else with more indoor experience will chime in to help you out.

Best of luck,
    Eric Wortman

• pshawn
    12 years ago

I grow P. 'Lady Margaret' and P. 'Sherry' indoors in Northern California and they bloom quite well. I would start with those! Most of the others would be a little more challenging indoors. I agree with Eric that P. caerulea and P. 'Blue Boquet' would probably do ok outdoors (just don't give them a ton of water in the colder months). I do love vitifolia too, but that plant likes to be BIG. Depends how much room you have...

• seaecho1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I want small plants. Well, small for a passiflora, lol. The citrina is one I've been reading about lately, and it seems to be doing well indoors exclusively for a lot of people from what I've found on the web. They are also very small for a passiflora. I have decided to get a citrina and a Sherry. I've heard similar remarks about Sherry that you have stated, pshawn. I don't think I'd have enough room for some of the giant growers. They'd take over my other houseplants and strangle them, lol!

The reason, by the way, that I want to grow them indoors exclusively is because I live in the high desert. The humidity here is often in the single digits (no, I'm not kidding) and we do get strong winds occasionally. I don't think a passiflora would make it here outside for long!
    Few plants can except cacti and other xerioscape plants.

Now my big question is, where in the heck do I get Sherry? I've looked high and low, and no one seems to be able to keep them in stock. I've checked Grassy Knoll, Kartuz, Willow Creek, Almost Eden, Georgia Vines, ebay, Stokes, Amazon and Logees (even though their reputation scares me) and they either don't have them or are out of stock. Is it impossible to find one, or am I just looking in the wrong places?

• eristal
    12 years ago

P. 'Sherry' will be very hard to find unless you can procure it through a trade with another collector. P. 'Lady Margaret' is generally considered a viable alternative which grows relatively similarly, though perhaps a bit more aggressively.

If you are considering P. citrina, you may also want to think about P. sanguinolenta and P. 'Adularia', (a cross between the two which is even easier to grow and more floriferous in my opinion).

As for your weather, all I can tell you is what I go through, and you can compare. Where I live, our average humidity for Jun,Jul, Aug & Sept is under 30%, with dips frequently in the teens. Those months we also get weeks at a time over 90 degrees, with about a dozen days over 100. Many Passiflora cannot handle it, but many thrive here, (with additional water obviously...) Is your weather drastically more harsh? I would be very curious to find out if you could indeed keep one alive outside there...

Best of luck,
    Eric

PS - More of my favorite small adorable Passiflora to consider would be 'Manta', tricuspis, colinvauxii, and murucuja.

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Of the passies mentioned I did grow murucuja inside for about a year and it flowered well though I did have it under HID lights. Others flowered indoors but murucuja's color was the nicest. Many of the other varieties that did bloom seemed a bit washed out.

Right about now I'd like some single digit humidity. It's 95 degrees with 90% humidity here. Everything is wilting, including me, but it's still better then the cold.

• seaecho1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Eric, your weather does sound similar to mine. I don't know where you are, but here in the California high desert we get snow sometimes. No more than once or twice a year though, and no more than a couple of inches, usually. People are always amazed to hear it snows in S. California! Only in the high desert, which has colder winters and hotter summers. We do get days over 100 in summer--sometimes for two weeks in a row!

Only reason I haven't gone for a Lady Margaret is because of the fact, as you stated, that it is a more aggressive grower, and I got the idea that Sherry is much less aggressive.

I'm hot for a Manta now! Its interesting that you mentioned it, as I saw it online and read about how compact it is, and I love those little, very attractive blooms! Hard to find also though, in my limited experience over the last few days. I've emailed a few growers to see if they might have a rooted one stashed away somewhere that I can purchase. I will also check out the murucuja, tricuspis and colinvauxii--thanks for the suggestions! I've found that on ebay, there is generally a very limited choice.

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Manta is a very cool little passie. The foliage is just as interesting as the flowers. It's definitely a smaller plant then most, at least mine is. It's just budding up again but really isn't a whole lot bigger then it was in the fall. Aurantia is a vigorous grower but a medium size plant and is very floriferous. It also blooms well in lower light then many so might be a good candidate for growing indoors.

• seaecho1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I found a grower online who has Mantas, but they want $22! I'm really hesitant to spend that much on one plant if I don't even know if I can keep it alive. I'll have to think about it. . . You guys have been great!

• eristal
    12 years ago
Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm