Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coccinea (Red Granadilla) Question

Posted by passionlove z9 (My Page) on
Fri, May 16, 08 at 16:47

I just found one of these at Walmart. They also had a whole bunch of mislabeled Inspiration vines. The distributor had a pictured label of blue caerulea. Anyway, my question is about the coccinea.

Does it need to be cross pollinated, and with what? I currently have an inspiration vine, lady lavender, lady Margaret, and an inarnata(that is not in great shape). Any other suggestions about this vine. I know they all seem to have different care requirements. Thanks:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coccinea (Red Granadilla) Question

Many plants labeled coccinea are in fact, vitifolia. If this is the case with you, consider yourself lucky, as it is not as temperamnetal. Cross pollination witha related species ( like another vitifolia or coccinea) worls best. Let the fruit ripen for a month after falling before eating.

o

The easiest way to tell the difference between vitifolia and coccinea are by the leaves. Vitifolia with have tri-lobed leaves that resemble grape leaves, whereas coccinea leaves are generally single-lobed. Coccinea are temperamental in regards to flowering (I've got one and have yet to have it flower) but they and vitifolia will cross-pollinate each other easily and produce viable seed (they're closely related).

o

Yes I believe mine is a vitofolia. It has the grape looking tri-lobed leaves, but some of the leaves near the base are single-lobed. This vine has quite a few buds on it. Anyway, guess I'll have to try and pollinate it with what I have for now. Thanks.

o

My vitifolia has some unlobed leaves as well. It's not uncommon. It's one of my favorite passies, blooms beautifully and can take a fair amount of abuse without suffering. It also has pretty striped fruit.
Karyn

o

very closely related species...but eh "juvenile" leaves on vitifolia do, indeed, resemble coccinea. They are more easily distingushed once the plant is a few months old. Still, for subtropical climates, grwon outdoors, vitifolia is a hands down winner over coccinea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here