Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
P. Caerula Fading Fast. . need some help!

Posted by iiartisanii (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 17:28

I have a passiflora caerula in Southern CA. When I bought it, I repotted it in cactus mix potting soil and put it on an east facing wall that receives full sun until about 2 pm in the summer. Ever since repotting, the leaves have yellowed and wilted a bit. It won't flower anymore. I picked one gulf fritillary caterpillar off of it that was doing a little damage, but not enough to kill the plant. What's going on? How can I revive it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: P. Caerula Fading Fast. . need some help!

Sounds like shock, because of you moving it and repoting it. Some plants don't take kindly to so much change. I have a Caerulea in full sun most of the day and it is fine. I would put it in bright shade to help it recover. Keep the soil moist but not wet, overwatering can be just as bad and wait. Caerulea is supposed to be fairly hardy so I would expect it will recover, give it time.

o
RE: P. Caerula Fading Fast. . need some help!

Don't understand why you potted it in cactus mix - isn't that for slow-growing succulents that don't need rich soil & for fast drainage? Suspect it's not able to draw enough moisture & nutrients from that mix. I grow Blue Bouquet, a hybrid of Caerulea, directly in the ground of clay amended with compost, topsoil & gypsum. It's at least 10 years old now, but when it was younger it definitely needed a good soaking every couple of days or it sulked. (Blue Bouquet has proven root & older cane hardy here in central Virginia zone 7A in an Eastern exposure planted beneath a stone wall.) Also grew another Caerulea hybrid in a pot years ago that spent the warm months outside & the cold ones in. Repotted that every Autumn until it filled a 22" pot. It also had regular heavy potting mix with vermiculite & perlite (no peat or sphagnum).

You might move it temporarily so it only gets morning sun & repot in better soil until it improves. Then it can go back to the sunnier spot as long as it's well watered in the heat. You don't mention what type of pot it's in. If clay, that will deprive it of water as the clay will absorb any that doesn't immediately drain out. Even if the outside of such a pot is glazed, the unglazed interior will soak up water. Or your pot may be another dark material, which may be overheating the roots if exposed to the sun.

So think it's a trouble-shooting challenge.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Bouquet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here