Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

cuttings

karyn1
17 years ago

I got my first passiflora 2 years ago and enjoyed it so much that I've purchased quite a few more varities. I winter them over in a greenhouse and they do quite well. My original plant is now too big and I need to prune it before it takes over my patio. I hate to throw the pruned vines away so I wanted to start some new plants but don't know what to do with the cuttings. Do I root them in a soil mix, floral foam, water? Should I use a rooting hormone?

Comments (5)

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

Just curious, Karyn1, but what type of passiflora do you have? If it's Incense, they're reputed to be difficult to root from cuttings, but the one I tried for practice rooted easily. Other efforts weren't as successful. You can read in other posts of mine that of 12 or so incarnata cuttings, only one rooted aggressively, eight or so sprouted new growth but died when roots failed to form, and the rest are still uncertain. I tried to root four p. mexicana cuttings, but only one took.

I use a 50/50 peat moss/perlite mix in peat starter pots. I started with plastic baggies on the window sill but put together a propogation chamber when my obsession grew. I've been dipping the ends of the plants in Schults Take Root hormone, but I'm starting to wonder if that's having any effect.

I'd be more than happy to hear from others who've developed a successful cutting system.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have no idea what type my overgrown passiflora is. It was just labeled passion flower when I purchased it. The 3-4 inch flowers are light purple, ringed with darker purple and white but it's never produced fruit. I would also like to take cuttings from my triloba, Lady Margaret and one labeled "duckbill". That one has tubular yellow flowers about 2" long. I do have an incense but that along with the other varities are too small to take cuttings yet. I'll have so many cuttings from my unknown variety that maybe I'll try a few different methods. Thanks.

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

If you could post a pic online, I'm sure we could ID it. I'm inclined to say it's incarnata, but that's just an uneducated guess.

As for your Incense... speaking from experience, if you put it in the ground, it'll sucker a *lot* starting the second year. It's far easier to dig up those suckers and propogate that way than regular cuttings. Those others would definitely be best propogated via cuttings (the Lady Margaret may sucker, being a child of incarnata, but I don't think they'll survive winter above zone 9 in the ground. SOmeone educate me if I'm in error on that one.)

• turtledon
    17 years ago

I make cuttings with 2 or 3 leaves that stick out of the soil. The potting soil is 2 or 3 inches deep in a large plastic container with a lid that has been cut away and covered with a clear piece of plastic so that I can use a grow light above them. I dip the ends in rooting hormone and place them in the soil with the bottom end in the ground. If you place them in upside down , they start to look wierd at the end. Lady Margaret took about 2 weeks to start sending out new leaves, some kinds take longer, be patient. I can get about 100 starts in one container.

• Krstofer
    17 years ago

Long ago I made a cloning box.

Vermiculite, liquid rooting hormone & bright light.. Plus a CO2 generator if you care to make one. Works very well.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio