Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merkity

anyone able to ID this cutting?

merkity
9 years ago

I found this one growing on the side of the road and acquired myself a cutting...but i have no idea what i might be called...
its a bright pink color, so much that it almost looks fake to me...

Comments (9)

• mark4321_gw
    9 years ago

You might want to give your location as well. I'll "guess" California, since you won't find that growing in any other state. Passiflora 'Coral Seas' is my guess. It's common only near the ocean... Known to swallow houses.

If you are trying to root it, it should be moderately easy in perlite in an enclosed environment. I've never tried rooting it in water; possibly that will work. If you live close enough to the coast (Sunset zone 16, 17, 23, 24, maybe also 15, 22) there are a lot of really interesting Tacsonias to try, such as P. antioquiensis and P. 'Mission Dolores'. Also P. membranacea, a cool-growing Decaloba.

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you! yes - i am in CA. I made several cuttings and now i wait and see if they root, i don't think they will have too much trouble. if not - I can go harvest another piece from the main plant - its quite happy on the way to half moon bay...

• mark4321_gw
    9 years ago

So is this from the plant that is on the right side of the 92 when one is heading towards Half Moon Bay from San Mateo? In or nearly in HMB at that point? If so, I think I know that plant. Half Moon Bay Nursery often sells this hybrid as well, I think at a reasonable price in a 1 gallon pot. It would save several months. It is fun to propagate them, though.

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yep its the one right at the landfill turn off right next to Lemos farm. I figure i might as well grab a cutting ( i might have spent a little bit on other plants this month...I also just bought a Lavendar lady from Berkeley Hort) If the cuttings do take root i may have more plants than i know what to do with...

I noticed what looks like the same or similar plant at the gas station right as you get into HMB...have to see if that is the same one if this set survives.

• mark4321_gw
    9 years ago

P. 'Coral Seas' is everywhere in Half Moon Bay. Here's a place I got cuttings from, a few years ago. It's on Main St., but the end towards the 92. The photo is from January 2012, according to Google Maps, and the plant is heavily pruned back, and out of bloom.

• mark4321_gw
    9 years ago

Here's another patch of it 2 blocks away from the previous. Again Google Maps, this time in November. In Bloom.

• mark4321_gw
    9 years ago

For those from outside the area, Half Moon Bay is one of those places where Tacsonias do well--you see them everywhere. San Francisco is another. Down here where I live, farther from the ocean, closer to the Bay...I'm 25 miles South of SF and over the hills from Half Moon Bay...they are much less common and they are more difficult. The closest I've seen is one Tacsonia ('Coral Seas' or 'Coral Glow') growing in Palo Alto.

Here are the temperatures in a favored Tacsonia growing area, Half Moon Bay. This is not a mistake:

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep - half moon bay is not warm! but its very foggy. There are also a couple of nice big plants in my neighborhood - just have to go out and find them again and see what color they are - they were red if i recall correctly. I am right by the 92/101 cross. a bit more north of palo alto.

• mark4321_gw
    9 years ago

It's interesting that you may have more Tacsonias in San Mateo/Foster City than there are further South on the Peninsula or into the South Bay. However it's not surprising. I've always found it very interesting the sorts of plants that are typically grown in the San Mateo area compared to further South: huge jade plants everywhere, Ficus elastica (Rubber tree) also very common. The transition from zone 9b farther South to zone 10a in your area is not subtle, in terms of the sorts of plants grown. And in California a higher zone does not typically mean hotter, as people elsewhere often assume.. Actually it means more constantly mild (as seen for places such as Half Moon Bay).