Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fruit ripe question?

Posted by angie83 texas z9 (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 07 at 18:10

I have never got fruit because of the caterpillars but this year they arent here and I have alot of fruit how can I tell when its ready to be picked.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fruit ripe question?

I wait until it takes almost no effort to separate it from the plant or when it drops. I haven't gotten much fruit from my vines and quite a bit of it has been empty, just little sacks of pith.
Karyn

o

I havent gotten any fruit ever it is alway hollow inside but hope this year I will get some seems the GF butterflys arnt here at all so my passifloras are blooming and Im hand pollenating so hope I get some fruit I have never even ate one no clue how they taste.

o

Think Hawaiian Punch and you'll have an idea of what the fruit tastes like. On the plants that I've had palatable fruit the smell is actually better than the taste. Many of mine are fairly acidic but that might be because they are over-ripe. I was trying to get viable seed.
Karyn

o

Just wait for the fruit to drop. That's the best way to tell--especially with some incarnata who's fruit stays green the entire time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here