Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice on how to manage height

Posted by nana2 z5 OH (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 07 at 18:54

I was given two Passifloras as gifts: one had a *generic* tag of Passion Flower, the other was labeled Blue Bahama.

These were to replace a Patio Clematis which I lost in the long freeze this Spring.

The container is 20 x 20, with a 4 foot obelisk, which was perfect for the Patio Clematis, but I'm not so sure about the two Passifloras.

Would like to know if it would be better to twine the vines around the obelisk since they grow much taller the Clematis. Or, would it be better to prune the vines back before they reach the top?

They are already planted in the container..........and look lovely. The vines are now about two feet tall, and loaded with buds.

Am a newbie to Passifloras......but have a feeling that I could become addicted.

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice on how to manage height

I'd just twine them around the obelisk or let them grow off of it onto a railing or something. If you keep pruning them back you'll lose a lot of blooms.
Karyn

o
RE: Need advice on how to manage height

Thanks, Karyn. I was a little concerned that might happen if I kept them pruned back. Was hoping that they might just keep sending out new shoots.

I'm amazed at how many buds each plant has....from top to bottom. Can't wait for the first bloom to open.

Elaine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here