Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rotareneg

Is this my Passiflora incarnata coming back, or just a weed?

Rotareneg
9 years ago

This started coming up recently in my Passiflora incarnata's container (a SmartPot):

At first I thought it was the Passiflora coming back from winter, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's just a weed?

This post was edited by Rotareneg on Sun, May 11, 14 at 19:26

Comments (11)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Looks more like a sunflower to me.

• Rotareneg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I dug it up and yes, it was just a seedling of some kind. With this crazy spring it'll probably be half-way through summer before the Passiflora comes up, IF it survived the winter at all...

• Rotareneg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There still isn't anything coming up IN the container, but there are at least three shoots coming up out the ground near it, yay!

• eloise_ca
    9 years ago

Now that looks more like a passiflora, congrats!

• gardenper
    9 years ago

Yes that's how passiflora new stems should look, but it also means your container allowed it to get out, in case that was one reason you had it in a container.

I was able to pull those up and root them into a container using rooting powder, in case you will eventually move it back into your pot. I tried many times without rooting powder and only succeeded once. With the rooting powder, I think I'm doing about 11/12 successfully, and the last one is because something ate the leaves, so it is just a stem right now. However, that stem is still nice and green, so it's possible it actually has survived also, and just gathering up energy to make some leaves or new stem from the ground level of the pot.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Glad you have some...mine didn't make it.

• Rotareneg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It finally made it up to the surface in the container as well:

I was hoping it would grow through the bottom of the container into the soil to maximize it's chances of survival. One more weed popping up here and there in the "lawn" we've got isn't going to be noticed.

• kayjones
    9 years ago

Dbarron, be patient - yours will return. When I lived in Missouri, mine didn't emerge until the last of may-middle of June.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Nope....I lost the Passiflora, 2 texas lantana/2 planted, and Malvaviscus drummondii over this winter.

A compassionate lady from the forums is sending me a cutting each of Incense and P caerulea, so I may see some passionflower blooms this year, after all.

• Lisa_H OK
    9 years ago

DBarron....if you are near OKC, I'd be happy to share a few with you. My p. caerulea died to the ground, but I'm seeing new vines slowly pop up. I noticed some p. incarnata (I think) popped up in my irises/daylilies. I thought I had pulled all of that, but I guess some survived!

I may have lost one on the side of my house, but it is always late, so it may just be hiding.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Thank you Lisa, but that kind lady from CA sent me some plants of passiflora just this week. I actually live over by Fayetteville, AR now...so not too near OKC.

I found one of the lantanas just yesterday putting out a weak stem, so even there, all is not lost. Just mostly lost (lol)..what a winter.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH