Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In Pot... or in the Garden

Posted by joycekh Zone 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 9, 09 at 19:49

I purchased a Blue Passion Flower today to climb up one post of my gazeabo, and after reading some of these posts, I am unsure of whether to plant it right in the ground, or keep it in the pot, and put the pot in the ground. Someone mentioned they like to be contained to flower. Also, since we are zone 5, could it be dug up in the fall and taken inside????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In Pot... or in the Garden

Do you know if it's a caerulea? If so it's a hardy variety but I don't know about hardy enough for zone 5. I'd sink the pot and dig it up in the fall. You can let it go dormant in a cold but above freezing room. I say above freezing because it's in a container. They can withstand below freezing temps inground where the roots are more insulated. You can also keep it growing inside but you'll need a grow light and keep an eye out for bugs. I always have problems with mites, scale and mealy bugs on my plants that need winter protection whether they are inside or in the greenhouse.

o
RE: In Pot... or in the Garden

My friend had a cutting or passionflower given to them and was planted Z5 next to a white panelled wall and grew to 5 ft high and five wide and was covered with many many blooms. Dug up and overwintered in greenhouse and many cuttings made which all started this last winter. Now many of us are growing passionflowers in zone 5.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here