Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

P. edulis 'Frederick' pollination: necessary? manually? insects?

mark4321_gw
15 years ago

The term I've seen for P. edulis 'Frederick' is that it is "partially self-fertile". However, I understand that the way to get the most fruit is by manually pollinating from another plant that is an appropriate pollinator. I assume this cannot be the same P. edulis clone. Is it best that this is completely different species or hybrid? If so, which ones? How about merely another species growing nearby? Does this increase the chance of successful pollination and thus the production of a lot of fruit?

Here's my situation: there is a vine that blooms like crazy only about a block away. I know nothing about Passionflowers, but visually it appears to look exactly like some P.'Jeannette' clones pictured online--these have P. caerulea as one parent. (is Jeannette common enough that this is a reasonable guess?). I am trying to root cuttings of this plant and plant it even closer. Is the plant a block away enough to pollinate P. edulis, or do I need it closer? Do I still need to manually pollinate regardless?

OK, here's the kicker: about 20 ft. where the P. edulis 'Frederick' will go is a honeybee hive!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!