Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hwylo

P. vitifolia fruit

hwylo
16 years ago

Was wondering what the trick is to get this plant to fruit. I've a plant, purchased a number of years ago from glasshouse works. I keep it in a pot, now a HUGE pot. I'm tired of moving back and forth to my greenhouse every November, so I want to plant it in the ground this year.

It has always flowered well, esp. in autumn, but never any fruit at all.

Clippings to continue over the winter are fairly easy. But it would be nice to have seeds if possible.

Any suggestions?

e

Comments (15)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

The P. vitifolia is one that fruits well for me and it has such a pretty fruit. Mine is in a container and goes under HID lights during the winter. I have no idea if it would survive the winter in zone 8? I keep mine kind of root bound, fertilize infrequently and allow to dry between waterings. I dig some chopped up banana peels into the soil every few months. The fruit takes forever to ripen and it doesn't get soft. I let mine get over-ripe so the seeds will mature. The fruit smells wonderful but the taste was very acidic. I have no idea what it's been pollinated by. I don't hand pollinate it and there's a number of other passies blooming at the same time. The seeds germinate easily even after being stored for a few months.
    Karyn

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

What are you pollinating it with? If you don't have other passionflowers in bloom at the same time, you will not get fruit.

• angie83
    16 years ago

They are so pretty a fruit I love the way they are so fuzzy like a peach .

• chena
    16 years ago

WOW!! Great pics!!!
    I just purchased one a few of months ago.. I can hardley wait!!!
    Chena

• karyn1
    16 years ago

So far the vitifolia has the prettiest fruit of any of my passies. All the others I've had have been a solid green. I have quite a few more varieties this year so hopefully I'll get more fruit. Do any of the others have different looking fruit? Angie is the skin on your vitifolia hard, almost like a shell? All my vitifolia fruit reminds me of an eggshell whereas the other varieties have always had fruit that is kind of soft when ripe.
    Karyn

• hwylo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

P vitifolia won't survive the winters here, though w/ the way things are going I may have to eat my words. I have left a few of the clippings that have matured out over the winter and they go w/ the first heavy frost, (we don't have many, but you can count on a few!) and they don't come back from the roots.

I had another P. vitifolia close by last year, a a two year old clipping from the larger plant, and I would have thought that something would have wandered across two differnt flowers.
    A number of other species amd hybrids nearby too. It was very wet last summer though, and they sprayed for mosquitoes (also responsible for eliminating almost all the Gulf Frittilary larvae, I think, that typically gorge themselves on the incarnata and caerula leaves). But I did see lots of bumble bees buzzing around.

Perhaps this year I'll try to hand pollinate, though I only have the one plant. I suppose they need to be pollinated by a flower from another plant?

All the photo's of the fruit are real nice! They look like a cross between a watermelon and a peach!
    e

• angie83
    16 years ago

Karyn mine is soft like a peach skin kinda like fur it is getting really big too .Its heavy I hand pollenated it sure hope it has seeds.

• cocomo
    16 years ago

Hi

I have a P. vitifolia and am having the same problem. Last year lots of flowers and no fruit. This year I have two P. edulis plants growing in the same area, and so far I
    have two fruits. So my advice is to plant a few varieties close by the vitifolia.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Angie leave the fruit on the plant until it drops. They took forever to ripen for me, but that might have been my climate. I picked some that I thought for sure would have viable seed and they were all undeveloped. The only fruit that had viable seed was left on the plant for a few months. The seed did germinate pretty fast, within a couple weeks.
    Karyn

• chills71
    16 years ago

For the first time in 5+ years I've got a fruit on my Vitifolia (been a good year for fruiing for me) as well as my Incense and Incarnata crosses.

Any ideas what Vitifolia crossed with incarnata will look like?

~Chills

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

>Any ideas what Vitifolia crossed with incarnata will look like?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• cathys1951
    16 years ago

Can you tell me if mine is a vitifolia or not

{{gwi:1124553}}

{{gwi:1129234}}

I live in zone 8 and mine has come back for three years now. Mine is exposed to some freezing temps, it does die back after the first frost. But has never had any fruit. My neighbor has one of the maypops all over his yard so I was hopeful this would pollinate. I have never done hand pollination and not sure how to do it.

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

That does indeed look like vitifolia. Coccinea is a closely related species, but I do think this one is a vit.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

The foliage and flowers look just like my vitifolia. I don't think it would survive my winter but it isn't bothered by a light frost. I do bring it in before we get a hard freeze. This one does really well inside and will continue to bloom throughout the winter. It barely even drops a leaf when I take it in.
    Karyn

• chills71
    16 years ago

The fruit on my vitifolia fell off and is drying out, I am not optimistic about its chances for even a single seed.

The fruit on my incarnata outside are still doing great, though. Inside I still have fruit on my incense as well.

My Capsularis fruited well and seed ripened.

~Chills

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting