Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laur07

getting passionflower to fruit

laur07
13 years ago

I bought my first one last year and it is living in a pot on my deck which is probably the sunniest location. It flowered well toward the end of the summer but the flowers just dried and fell off and did not fruit. I'm pretty sure it's a variety that produces fruit so wonder if there is something I need to do for it?

This spring it's looking pretty pitiful, having lost most of its leaves this winter. I plan on repotting to a bigger pot. Should I cut it back also?

Comments (9)

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I have no idea what variety you have but it likely needs another passie for cross pollination.

• laur07
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think it is P. caerulea. So I need to find another? Will it cross pollinate with a different species, say P. incarnata? I'm not sure what I will be able to find. These are uncommon in nurseries around here.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I'm not sure but Myles, Mark or Eric should be able to give you an answer. I know that alata and caerulea are compatible. What part of CA are you in?

• laur07
    Original Author
    13 years ago

in the foothills near Chico at ~2800 ft. I just saw a few Passionflowers at our local Lowe's, but the tag did not say if they were the fruiting variety or give the scientific name. I think the name on the label was "Blue Crown" Passionflower. They may all be gone by the time I get back there.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Blue Crown is a caerulea.

• passifreak
    13 years ago

Hi,

you can cross caerulea with alata and alot of other Passionvines...like amethysthina or something else. It's important that you don't cross them with Decalobas, or some Passiovines which have a another rate of the Chromosomes.

• passionflow
    13 years ago

In fact caerulea pollen will pollinate many other passion flowers but it is pretty hard to set fruit on caerulea with pollen from other passion flowers. It is best to have a different clone of caerulea. Usually the bees do it if they can find another nearby!
    Myles

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora pollination info.

• pshawn
    13 years ago

Like Myles said, another caerulea clone is probably a good idea. I'm not sure where you are in the US, but in California a widely available option is 'Constance Elliot.' I hope not to spoil your fun, but if you are trying to produce a culinary passionfruit, caerulea is not among the ones I'd call "tasty." They do make pretty, yellow fruit, though.

• eristal
    13 years ago

Just to add my $.02, I have to agree with pshawn that the fruit is rather unpleasant. Also, it took many years for my P. caerulea to begin fruiting. I have heard from others that they have had similar experience in it taking a few years before filled fruit forms, (try saying that 3 times fast...). Now we have to go and pluck the fruits off all spring and early summer to keep it from making "volunteers" all over the yard.

For flavorful fruit, you are best in your area planting a named cultivar of P. edulis, such as 'Nancy Garrison', 'Black Knight', or 'Fredrick'. Keep it in a planter and protect from frost in the winter. It is not nearly as forgiving as P. caerulea...

Hope that helps!

Eric

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath