Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help ID this

Posted by lilyred (My Page) on
Mon, May 23, 05 at 22:34

It bloomed at about 10am local time here, if that helps. The tendrils are red.

I am thinking this is p. edulis flavicarpa?

The 2 blooms are from separate plants in the same pot. I cross-pollinated them by hand. Hope this will work.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help ID this

lily,
I do not think that is p. edulis flavicarpa more likely a passiflora called 'anemona' mabye not I'm no expert. It also looks a bit like ligularis I have a link to a site with lots of pasiflora pics. http://www.passionflora-images.com/index.php
Thomas

o

I have one blooming in my yard as well. It is Belotti or x alto-caerulea. The vines and tendrils are red. The flowers are somewhat fragrant. Great passion flower. Hope this helps. Vicki

o

Is there no one who can positively identify this?

Lily

o

either 'alardii" or 'Belotii'

~Tiger

o

AGree ID as stated above.
Difficult to be certain from the picture angle-alternate pink petals and white sepals as in the link pics below will confirm.
Passiflora x belotii is a hybrid of P. alata x P. caerulea. Named P. alato-caerulea by Dr Lindley in 1824, John Vanderplank's book lists the following alternative names, P. x belotii, P. 'Empress Eugenie', P. 'Imperatrice Eugenie', P. 'Kaiserin Eugenia', P. munroi & P. x pfortii, some of which are still in use. The latest Passiflora Hybrid Lists have collapsed them all into 'P. x belotii'. Flower variations however include either a dark or light centre, one or a number of white bands on the coronal filaments & petals crumpled to varying degrees. Clearly there are a number of similar but distinct hybrids, probably all of P. alata x P. caerulea parentage. It is my view that they have been overcollapsed & could probably be separated out again, but as they are decorative & sterile it does not matter too much.
Myles

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora belotii

o

Hi Tiger,
Good to see you post again. Have missed you.

Patsy

o

Thanks, guys!

I've checked with the nursery where I bought it, they thought it could be imperatrice eugenie, but they weren't very sure about it.

But if it is, then according to the write-up by Myles above, it is sterile. Does this mean it won't make fruit, even if cross-pollinated? I am growing for the fruits.

o

fruit very unlikely.
Almost certainly empty if there are any.
Try caerulea pollen and hope.
Myles

o

Thanks, Myles!

lily

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here