Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Passion for the Passi - in the Desert

Posted by kmarie Las Vegas (My Page) on
Tue, May 20, 08 at 22:58

I recently planted 12 varieties of the Passi.

I have no idea if any of these can survive in the desert heat or cold in the winter.

So far the Alata, Quadrangularis and Actinia have just sprouted but it's getting hotter by the day.

Does anyone have experience with this zone??

K

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Passion for the Passi - in the Desert

Well, you're at the 8/9 boundary, same as me, but your climate's significantly different. I don't think the quadrangularis will survive your winters. As I understand it, it's quite frost sensitive. I wouldn't know from experience, as I've never tried to grow it. Alata may do well for you if you provide shelter for it in the winter, in the form of mulch and cover plants to protect it from the cold. I planted one out this past fall, and the growth tips got froze pretty badly but the plant as a whole pulled through fine. Actinia is rated for 9 and warmer, from what I see online, but supposedly can withstand light freezes without much damage.

If my thinking is correct, all three have evolved in warm, humid environments, so your exceedingly dry climate might prove tough for them. It's possible they could lose water through respiration faster than their roots can take it up. One danger with passiflora is that many of them can't stand wet soil, so over-watering could cause root rot. You'll have to find some sort of balance there, between keeping them hydrated and not drowned.

You might well have better luck with incarnata and caerulea. Both will make it through your winters fine, and handle my (humid) Texas heat without flinching. My native incarnata in particular seems drought resistant, as it sends its roots much deeper than my other two, non-local incarnata plants.

o

You might try those 'mister' things- Surely you have seen them 'round Vegas. Extremely fine mist meant to cool the area more than water anything.. Place one a few feet above each plant & put them on a timer.. Tune it so they don't wilt so much during the day in that blast-furnace heat you guys have down there.

And good luck with that quad this winter- Hopefully you can keep it alive.

o

My suggestion is to take some cuttings as soon as it's large enough, and invest in a large pot. A quad isn't something I'd fancy investing all that time into growing only to lose it to the weather.

o

Thanks, all sounds like good advice. Will try to keep them alive.

Keeping fingers crossed.
Kmarie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here