Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thespirals

passiflora problems

thespirals
15 years ago

hello,

i have 3 different kinds of passion flowers i bought about a month and a half ago. i bought 2 passiflora membranaceas, one passiflora 'witchcraft' and one i forget the name, it has round medium sized leaves, the blooms have white petals with purple on the inside. I planted one of the membranaceas in the ground recently, slightly underneath a tree, trying to train it to grow up a string and up into and eventually on top of the tree. all the others are still in their pots in full sun. (sometimes) the weather here has been super crazy! i live in san francisco in the sunset. usually in the summer it is foggy and kind of cold. i live by the beach to the wind is salty. sometimes it gets extremely windy. lately it has been extremely hot and sunny. the weather varies so much i can never tell what its going to be like the next day.

so anyways, all the plants have sort of stopped growing. the tips have all gotten very small, the leaves and tendrils tiny and the space between nodes is miniscule. ive noticed that on the one i planted in the ground some of the nodes are popping out which is good. i fertilized them for the first time last week. the other membranacea has some healthy looking vines coming off the bottom of the plant, or so i thought until one of those vines had all their leaves drop...they looked fine yesterday!

the 'witchcraft' recently has had all of the leaves curl up. a couple of the vines growing from the main stem lost their leaves at the tips and the tips went black. the other vines look healthy at the tips but the majority of the plant has leaf curl

the one with the white blooms had some flowers and then all the leaves and soon to be flowers dropped off one of the vines. the bottom leaves are turning yellow and falling off. the tips are not growing.

whats going on??? i water them almost everyday unless its foggy because then the soil stays moist longer...but since its been so hot the past couple of days im afraid to skip a day of watering. should i back off? would planting them in the ground help?

Comment (1)

Sponsored