Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rowansmom_1029

do passifloras twine or 'grab'?

rowansmom_1029
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am new to passiflora, and would love some advice.

Okay, here is my situation. I have a utility pole(standard wood pole with creosote all over it) that I want to have a vine go up. This is in mostly full sun, and a hose can reach it -- but I do want it to be somewhat drought tolerant. I don't mind giving it a good drink once in a while, thoough. I would like it to be evergreen or semi-evergreen. The soil is good, and I have mounded it up and dug pretty deep around it, and amended it. The main thing is I really don't want to have to provide a trellis! I want something to go up on its on.

So, last year I decided to try an akebia. Grew well, but it only went up as far as the tomato cage trellis I gave it at the base of the pole. Then it just stops climbing. The creosote didn't seem to bother it, though

So, I'll move the akebia. I bought a passiflora 'Lavender Lady' at the farmer's market. I specifically asked the grower if it climbed without a trellis. He said the mother plant is going up a wall on its on. I did buy it, but it has the same twining tendrils that the akebia has. Doesn't make any sense to me that it would cling to a wall (or pole). Doesn't it need "aerial roots" to do this? (I read a book that referred to these kinds of climbers as having aeriel roots).

I know that a climbing hydrangea will climb a wall, but that is for shade -- right?

Anyway, any thoughts?

Thanks!

Carolyn

Comments (3)

Sponsored