Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
P. Incarnata in container with trellis, maintaining size

Posted by learn2turn 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 27, 10 at 8:00

I have a P. Incarnata I started in a 14" pot with a 4' wire obelisk trellis. It's almost to the top. It's on the deck but I plan to bring this one in winter. I guess they can get 15-20' long so I have to figure out how to limit this one. Options:

Trim/prune, will it just then "fork" at the trim point? That wouldn't limit it for very long. Will it put more shoots up from the ground?

Try to train it back down the trellis? Will it only just grow up?

Let it grow over the deck and then trim it back in winter to detach it from deck and bring in.

One think I'm hoping is that it puts up more shoots to cover more of the trellis. Do they do that the first year or do you have to wait for it to "spread"?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: P. Incarnata in container with trellis, maintaining size

You need to trim it to make it fork or start new growth from just about any node or even send up another shoot from the roots. I kept a plant inside last winter. I took cuttings through the winter to keep it short and about 50% actually struck roots. I planted them in ground a few weeks ago and have had 7-8 blooms and one fruit set. I'm going to take some cuttings in fall to insure I have plants next spring but the ones in the ground should come back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here