Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shiollie

An experiment

shiollie
18 years ago

I tried an experiment with my x alato caerulea (purple blush) and my edulis (dark lavender), Took some pollen from the edulis and put it on the female parts of the x alato. It could be that nothing will come from it or I could be really surprised and actually get a fruit from the x alato. I really love the flowers from the x alato and the scent of them is like to sweetest perfume to me, but I would like to get fruit from it too, so we will see what happens, I will keep you posted.

Comments (4)

• Krstofer
    18 years ago

I've been trying to polinate my alto for a year & a half.. So far no luck. Realized I've never taken the pollen anywhere, so that's what I'll try next.

I do believe it's sterile though.

• shiollie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I now have nice plump fruit on my alato, the baby fruit is doubled in size.. yippee!!! Does anyone think that the offspring from the seeds will be viable??

• passionflow
    18 years ago

No! Sorry.
    The P. alata x P. caerulea cross has been done a number of times-see link below for more info and to confirm that is the correct ID for your plant. As far as I know they are all sterile but I have heard before of one of the variations in USA producing fruit-which unfortunately will be empty...but you never know. Try and set as many fruit as you can and then open one up after a few weeks to see if anything is happening.
    Myles

Here is a link that might be useful: P. x belotii

• shiollie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Myles, I was sure that this simple of a cross had been done, but I have to wonder if I kept at it and pollenated every cross with a viable pollen, what would I come up with? Would at any time the friut be viable?? LOL.. I guess this is what they call Hybridizing??

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!