Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imp4mav

What to feed Constance Elliott?

imp4mav
18 years ago

It is going great but not putting out any buds. Any help would be appreciated.

deb

Comments (10)

• flicker
    18 years ago

Constance Elliot will bloom only when the nights are cool(50-60) and days are hot. In La. we seldom get that combination so mine has bloomed about 5 times in 7 yrs. Didn't know that when I bought it.

• patsy_b
    18 years ago

Mine is covered in blooms and has been for the past several weeks. It is also setting fruit. Nights here are in the high 70s and days in the 90s. I do nothing for it but just let it alone. The roots are in the shade and the top is covering everything in sight. It is a reliable bloomer for me. I have noticed tho that the older the vine gets, the more blooms I have. I have had it for probably 10 years.

Patsy

• wolflover
    18 years ago

My Constance Elliott has been blooming up a storm too. The days are in the 90's here and nights are in the 70's. It did take almost two years after I received a small rooted cutting for it to begin blooming. Good luck with yours. It has a nice bloom . . .

• flicker
    18 years ago

Patsy and Wolf--what do you feed them? I have runners of Con Elliot all over. It has made a huge vine in the past but only a couple of flrs a year. When i asked, I was told about the temps. Gave up. How do y'all treat yours?

• wolflover
    18 years ago

flicker,
    I'm ashamed to say I don't think I've ever fertilized mine. If I did, it was last summer. It's in a large pot with a tropical mix potting soil -- lots of bark. I kept it in a cool spare bedroom over winter, and when it went outside for spring, it's rewarded me with blooms almost every day. I guess it's happy to be outside. :-)

• patsy_b
    18 years ago

Mine is in the ground. My flower garden perhaps has the worse soil you can imagine. I have to use a rock bar to break thru the rocks when I plant anything. It is about 4 to 6 inches of topsoil on top of shelf rock. I have never fertilized it nor do I water it even tho we have had extremely dry summers for the past couple of years. It has been blooming since March and is still in full bloom. It does have to have some age on it before it blooms well. I bought it already blooming several years ago. It did not have alot of blooms potted up but has done really well in the ground. It appears to be one of the most hardy passies. The only thing that has killed one for me is root rot caused by an extremely wet spring. I lost a really large one to that.

Patsy

• dbrya1
    18 years ago

Patsy,I believe this is one of yours I got laast year.Its huge plant now.loaded with buds.
    {{gwi:1129568}}
    {{gwi:1129569}}

• tdogmom
    18 years ago

Wow, I didn't know the temps were important for this PassiÂMine bloomed in this itty-bitty pot. I transplanted it a few weeks ago into the ground and it is blooming like mad! :) I give it Grow-More's water soluble fertilizer and it does really well. It is a high phosphorous fertilizer. Sometimes I use 11-54-4 and sometimes I use 10-52-10ÂI have a number of different Passiflora plants (I raise butterflies and these are my Gulf Fritillary host plants! BUT, I love the variety and the flowersÂright now the Constance Elliott is my favorite for its fragrance but the Blue Bouquet is my favorite for its blossom colour combinationÂ).

• nmrbwt98
    16 years ago

I have been growing my Constance Elliot in the ground for 3 years now, it only gets water from the sky, I have never fed it, it has never gone dormant, and continues to grow longer each year. It is probably close to 30' now. But it is getting scraggly and I was thinking about cutting it back this winter/spring but I am concered that I may end up killing it. Since it seems to be so hardy and thrives on abuse do you think it would welcome the haircut?
    Thanks in advance for your responses.

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

Passis won't sprout new growth from woody stems, so if you cut it back, be sure to leave plenty of green vine for it to rebound with. I'd also wait until very late winter/early spring, since excess growth acts as a protective blanket against the elements (unless you're in zone 9 or warmer, in which case you shouldn't have any worries).

My caerulea and Constance Eliott are growing very well in heavy, black clay soil. There's lots of phosphorous in the clay, so I don't fertilize with a comprehensive fertilizer. The only thing I really do for them is a good dose of nitrogen and iron in the spring. They seem to fine with that, and I haven't had any chlorosis problems. For my potted passis, I give them grandular tomato fertilizer (I believe this was recommended by Myles Irvine) and they respond quite well to that.

It's best to know what kind of soil you have, since all fertilizers aren't created equal.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz