Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tngreenthumb

Need ID for purple passion flower

tngreenthumb
18 years ago

I hope this shows enough of the bloom and leaves to make a positive ID. I bought three of these in 1 gallon pots for $5 each. Very healthy looking plants but the person at the Farmer's Market didn't know diddly about cultivars.

Thanks. I'll also have a red one to ID when it blooms.

Click for larger image.

Comments (9)

• tdogmom
    18 years ago

Looks like maybe a Lavender LadyÂdoes it get a bit of white in the petals? Maybe it could be a Jeanette? (It looks more to me like a Lavender Lady, thoughÂ) :) I love Passiflora because I raise Gulf Fritillary butterflies so if you see spikey caterpillars on them you should soon have gorgeous black and orange butterflies flitting about!

• tngreenthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I haven't seen any white to the petals. Except close in to the center. I'm assuming that the outer petals are what you are talking about.

Here is a much tighter shot of the interior of the bloom. There is some white on the corona...

• Krstofer
    18 years ago

It looks like lavender lady or amethystina.. They both look almost exactly the same- although they are from different stock. From what I've learned, the only way to tell them apart is the lady is sterile & the other is not. So polinate yours with something (caerulea worked for me) and see if it sets fruit. If so, you have amethystina. If not, it's lavender lady.

I have high resolution close-up pictures of mine here- they're amethystina, but mis-named as 'lavender lady' (thanks for the correction Myles- ) as I didn't know about amethystina when i took the pics, and the lable they came with claimed they were "lavender lady".. Not knowing 'lady is sterile I polinated with caerulea & now have a couple hunderd fruit slowly ripening out front. Thus I must have amethystina.

So that's how to figure it out.
    Have fun.

• passionflow
    18 years ago

Hi TNGreenThumb/Krstofer

Nearly there but not quite. This is a nightmare to get right!! Firstly check my link at the foot below for info re P. 'Amethyst'. In practice the real Patrick Worley hybrid P. 'Lavender Lady' is not widely available so the plants in both your pics are most probably P. 'Amethyst' & in Krstofer's case most certainly as it is setting fruit. Nobody knows for certain who did P. 'Amethyst' but it originated in UK many many years ago.

To add to the confusion ther is a species called P. amethystina which is quite distinct. There are a number of selections of it see http://www.passionflow.co.uk/amclose121121.htm
    and
    http://www.passionflow.co.uk/amclose121122.htm

P. 'Amethyst' was thought to be a hybrid from P.amethystina but work done by Dr Roland Fischer see http://www.passionflow.co.uk/kermitfr1.htm
    has shown that it is in fact P. kermesina x caerulea. P. kermesina was lost for many years but having been found in the wild Roland redid the cross and sent me a fruit of it-I now have a number of P. 'Amethyst' type plants-very similar flowers but 5 lobed leaves. See http://www.passionflow.co.uk/kermitfr1123311.htm
    I hope this helps....
    Myles

Here is a link that might be useful: P. 'Amethyst'

• Krstofer
    18 years ago

I see the difference now. So I have 'amythest' outside.. And amethystina sprouting- Got some seeds from Mauro in Brazil.

It is a bit confusing..

• austyca13
    18 years ago

i have that at my house too! its amethyst.

• sanford_and_son
    16 years ago

Hi! Someone had thrown a plant out with the trash, and I picked it up, it was in a ragged state so I had no idea what it was. Somehow I managed to bring it back from the brink - and to my delight it just bloomed into a passion flower! I love these plants, but know nothing about them, and I'm trying to ID it. Took the pic below - is it the same as the others in this discussion?

Also, in the same pot I salvaged there's a Reddish-leaved plant that hasn't bloomed yet. It sticks closer to the ground than the other. I'm wondering if its another passiflora, do any varieties have darker foliage? I can take a picture if that helps!

Thanks!

Ashley

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Good for you for saving it. You'll be rewarded with loads of beautiful flowers. That looks like it's either an amethyst or a Lavender lady. If it sets fruit it's an amethyst. Passiflora foliage comes in different shapes, sizes and shades of green. I'm not sure if there are any with red foliage but I'm no passie expert. A pic would definitely be helpful.
    Karyn

• chena
    16 years ago

AHHH!
    A true junker always looking.. What a great snag and Congrats on it's wonderful recovery..Great pic!!! I can hardley wait to find out what your mystery plant is ...LOL
    Chena

Sponsored