Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed screen to control passion flower?

Posted by viper4358 8a - AL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 14, 06 at 9:57

Has anyone tried using standard weed screening in the hole before planting passion flower in the yard. I have several incarnata and caerulea that I want next to my house, but the invasive nature of these varieties scares me. Any thoughts???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed screen to control passion flower?

I've never tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you gave it enough room for its roots--they don't like to be cramped. From what I've seen, the majority of those passis' big roots that spawn suckers stay within 4 inches of the surface, so it shouldn't be hard to hem them in.

Personally, I think warnings of their invasiveness is overblown. Suckers that aren't devoured by caterpillars are easily pulled if young, and failing that, I've yet to see one that could win a fight with a lawn mower. Persistent they are, but bamboo and English ivy, they ain't.

o
RE: Weed screen to control passion flower?

Thank you for the reply. I might give it a try. Otherwise, they will go in the ground in pots. I've already got 5 wisteria in tree form in the yard. Their suckers only come up from the base and run along the top of the ground, but I'm tired of cutting them 5 or 6 times a year. Not difficult to do, but monotonous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here