Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Anyone ever eat the flowers?

mark4321_gw
15 years ago

Hi,

I don't know if this subject has been posted before. It's hard to do a search on edible flowers with so many on edible fruit.

Anyway, I've read that the flower of passiflora is edible. Now edible is one thing, tasty is another (as is clear for the fruits). Does anyone have any experience eating them? How do you prepare them: what parts can you eat and what do you discard?

Just in case there are skeptics that people do eat the flowers, here are a couple sites:

http://www.bio.net/bionet/mm/plant-ed/1999-August/004921.html

http://www.egardener.ca/wiki/index.php/List_of_Edible_Flowers

Comments (7)

• daveh_sf
    15 years ago

Don't eat them. All parts of most passifloras contain cyanide. Only fully ripe fruit is safe. See:
    http://www.passionflow.co.uk/passion-flower-passiflora-toxicity.htm
    For the medical effects of cyanide, see:
    http://www.emedicine.com/EMERG/topic118.htm

Some people may eat passiflora and other toxic plants, but some people also get sick - or worse.

• abdielg
    15 years ago

Yeah, it doesn't sound like too hot of an idea to eat any part of the plant that aren't the fruits.

But maybe there are exceptions. I remeber reading in a lot of places that the flowers of P. caerulea can be made into a syrup. I'm sorry to say I don't know how its prepared. Here are some of the links:

http://www.paghat.com/passiflora.html (Paragraph 17)

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Passiflora+caerulea

I do know for sure that the flowers have very good tasting nectar, which is why one can often find many insects digging into the flowers.

Outside of flowers and fruit, people use the leaves of P. incarnata for tea, especially as a sedative to go to sleep.

And on passionflow.co.uk I read that the leaves of P. holosericea are also used for tea. I tried this and gave some of the tea to my dad since I don't like tea and he said it tastes like Hoja santa, which I think might be Piper auritum.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Dave,

I hadn't seen Passiflora pop up on any of the poisonous lists--there are actually flowers that are listed as both edible and poisonous for some reason. I was aware that some immature fruits are poisonous.

Unfortunately many people these days seem to believe that anything "natural" is less likely to be dangerous--witness the near total disregard for the negative effects of herbal medications. Or remember laetrile: a cancer "treatment" shown to be ineffective that similarly contains a compound that leads to cyanide production in the body?

I agree. Better to play it safe.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Dave,

I hadn't seen Passiflora pop up on any of the poisonous lists--there are actually flowers that are listed as both edible and poisonous for some reason. I was aware that some immature fruits are poisonous.

Unfortunately many people these days seem to believe that anything "natural" is less likely to be dangerous--witness the near total disregard for the negative effects of herbal medications. Or remember laetrile: a cancer "treatment" shown to be ineffective that similarly contains a compound that leads to cyanide production in the body?

I agree. Better to play it safe.

• jblaschke
    15 years ago

Mark, yeah, ALL passiflora are toxic. They produce a natural cyanide to protect them from predation by insects and animals. The helliconia butterflies have developed tolerance for this, and feed almost exclusively on passiflora--internalizing that same cyanide toxicity to provide protection from predation.

Cyanide in the fruit diminishes as the fruit ripens to the point where all commercial varieties are safe to eat. Some obscure species remain toxic to humans, however. And I've seen that various parts of the plant can be made safe for consumption if prepared properly, but it's not a driving mission in my life to learn what those preparations are. :-)

• passionlove
    15 years ago

You know I haven't tried any of my flowers or leaves, but I know the leaves of the passiflora incarnata are commonly used in holistics medicines. It is supposeldy used as an anti-anxiety/relaxant and many other uses. They say you can take the passiflora incarnata leaves and make tea out of them. Here are some links, but please don't try it at home until you know for sure. I have thought about it, but have been scared to try, and I drink all kind of herbal teas. But, I'll do some more reading. Anyway here are a few links:

Holistic Online

Holistic Herbalist

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Regarding a list of effects such as that given in passionlove's first link: notice that there is no comparable list of side effects. Prescription medications have been specifically screened to maximize desired effects and minimize side effects--and only a tiny number make it through this process. Yet think of all of the side effects of almost any medication (prescription or even over-the-counter). An example of two drugs that have come to us through natural sources: opiates and aspirin. I don't have to desribe the dangers of opiates. And even aspirin, although in many ways a very clean drug, has quite a few side effects is unsuitable for many people. These are just two examples of the many drugs which have come from nature (I've heard this is as many as 50% of all drugs) where we KNOW what the side effects are. The Passiflora article (although it sounds like it is written by someone with at least some background in pharmacology) minimizes--although certainly doesn't deny--such possibilities.

The final sentence of the "Holistic Online" link is "Please consult your physician before starting on any herb." Exactly. Simply make a phone call--that's what they're there for. And if you are trying to get pregnant (or even of childbearing age without extremely reliable birth control) avoid these things like the plague. If these possible drugs have not been evaluated for side effects, I can promise that nobody knows if they have the potential to cause birth defects. Even extremely well-characterized prescription drugs have been screened and approved that have these dangers (Accutane for acne is perhaps the best-known these days). There is no doubt that some herbal drugs will have similar effects on embryonic/fetal development--we just don't know which.

The people who write articles on the internet may or may not be competent. They may have agendas or frankly be a bit deluded. Think of the worst doctor from the worst medical school--he can still write articles and sign them Joe Shmo, M.D. The least ethical can do the same.

I certainly don't mean to suggest that the overwhelming number of people out there are not sincere. The problem is that the information is simply not there. I assume that most of us are aware of the length of clinical trials that must take place--for a new medication initially thought to be effective or safe. Or of the drugs that have been pulled after the fact...

Play it safe--especially if you plan to or might have kids. Call your doctor. And maybe your poison control center while you're at it.

So have your morning coffee or tea. Those of course have been evaluated for effects for years and (I think...) have been found to be safe or even beneficial. Even with them, though, I think we all know what a reasonable dose is, and 5 times this is probably not a good idea. They're not teratogens (birth defects). Do we know the same about other herbs?

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals