Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crossing Sunburst...

Posted by krstofer Zone 7 (ish) (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 08 at 10:12

Has anyone out there had any luck breeding Sunburst with anything? I've tried various decalobas.. But I can't seem to get anything to 'take'.

Perhaps Sunburst is sterile? Anyone know for sure?

I did finally find a Mexicana.. ^_^

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crossing Sunburst...

There is a hybrid with Sunburst as the father. It's called P. Moonburst (P. trifasciata P. Sunburst) and it was made by P. Worley and R. McCain.

If Sunburst pollen has been used to make hybrids, then it should be much easier to use it as the female parent.

Mexicana looks a lot like the parents of Sunburst, and it might be a really good choice to use, if its flowering for you.

o

I've never tried hand pollinating my Sunburst. I do get loads of small fruits but they are always empty. I'm not even sure what I have that I could use to try pollinating it.
Karyn

o

My biggest problem now is getting two to bloom at the same time. my caerulea is usually dependable but it won't work with any of my decalobas.

I've high hopes this summer however as I've managed to gather a couple uncommon ones- hopefully I'll get 2 to pop at the same time & i'll be able to play matchmaker. Sanguinolenta & citrina might be exciting.. And mexicana + quinquangularis or capsularis? Hmmm... Don't know if sunburst + mexicana will do amything spectacular, but maybe I'll have a chance to see.
In a couple years that is when any seeds I get from a cross now start to bloom. if I can keep the kids alove for that long.

Fingers crossed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here