Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emxry

Help please Quickly!

emxry
18 years ago

I dug up several passiflora vines this morning. A couple even had fruit and flowers blooming on them. In a matter of minutes, I had them repotted in good potting soil in a container and left in the shade. I got a good hunk of roots on each of them but they are wilting! They are not drying out as the potting soil had been watered with fresh water, nor are they soggy.

What do I do???

Thanks for the quick responses!

Catherine

Comments (4)

• passionflow
    18 years ago

Oh Dear....better to have asked first before digging them up. They don't like it as their roots are quite delicate. All you can do is leave them in the shade and cut back the top growth quite hard but leave some foliage on. When you removed them from the ground you will have left a lot of root behind and so the amount left is not enough to support the existing amount of foliage. In the future much better to take cuttings from the ones in the ground and put them in pots-they will grow quickly enough. Don't worry too much..I have lost count of the number of Passiflora I have killed..
    Myles

• patsy_b
    18 years ago

I pot up suckers all the time here in the hot Texas summers. I very seldom loose one. I dig them, pot them immediately in a good peat based potting soil, set them under a tree in complete shade, water well, cover the whole thing with an old cotton sheet, wet the whole thing down at least a couple of times a day. The wet sheet keeps the moisture in the leaves and keeps it cooler at the same time. I have done this with success even in August in Texas. I do not uncover them for a week or so. If they start to wilt when I uncover them I put the sheet back on for another week or so. Depends on the amount of root I am able to get up with the sucker as to how long it takes them to establish in the pot.

Patsy

• passionflow
    18 years ago

Patsy, suckers (from incarnata probably) are different-as you say easy to pull out and plant. Emxry's best hope is to take top cuttings of the distressed plants , put them in water to stabilize them then plant.
    Myles

• patsy_b
    18 years ago

I have done Incarnata, Incense, Caerulea (both purple and Constance Elliot), and Foetida with success this way. I think the success of any plant depends greatly on protecting both tops and roots from drying. I know that I am in by no means an expert. Just a person that loves all types of plants and enjoy growing them.

Patsy

Sponsored