Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningmom2005

I am stumped... My plant is doing odd things!

gardeningmom2005
18 years ago

Hello all! I am so glad to have found this forum. I searched through all the messages and haven't found an answer so I thought maybe someone could help. I do hope that this isn't a terribly silly question:

My Passion flower has had blooms of and on and has ALOT of new buds form. But they are all empty. There is maybe one of the buds that you can feel something inside. Are these just leaves or something else? They all look like to outside of the flowers.

Also it does not fruit. The Blooms that have appeared are no where to be found either. I do hope someone can help, it is driving me nutts trying to figure out whats happening. BTW I do not know what kind it is. I have a lavender lady and the one that is having trouble is White Petals and then Purple tubes etc. Very basic I see pictures of it everywhere.

Anxiously awaiting a response

Michelle :o)

Comments (7)

• Krstofer
    18 years ago

Does it look like this?
    {{gwi:1129838}}

If so, it's a 'Blue Crown', aka Caerulea. I don't know what's up with your flower bud problem, but I might know about your 'no fruit' problem- most (maybe all, experts?) caeruleas are not self fertile. You need to 'cross' it with another caerulea - one that's not a clone of the same mother, as geneticly all clones of the same plant are the same plant.

I was having the same problem with mine.. I'd hand polinate the flowers (with pollen from the same plant) and they'd just shrivel & fall off anyway. (prolly what happened to your missing flowers) I solved the problem by picking up a little gallon sized caerulea at the store- I *knew* it was different stock as mine came from my sister's back yard in Los Angeles.. Now I can cross between the plants & I get fruit all the time.

• gardeningmom2005
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yep thats the one! Honestly I know nothing about passion flowers. I saw a HUGE plant 3 years ago and have been searching for one and found it. The pamphlet that came with said it bears fruit but is not for consumption :o( It does sound logical that the no-fruit thing could be causing my problem. I will research how to hand pollinate and see what I come up with. I would love to grow some more plants from seed. Thanks so much for the response!!

• Cumnock
    18 years ago

Well, I had a similar problem with the buds on my plant. I just got it this spring, so it is my first experience with passiflora. When I got the plant it was covered in what looked like plump buds, but one by one, just as I thought they would open, the inside of the bud would drop out, leaving just the outside petals. This went on for weeks. Finally a few days ago a bud opened in its full glory, and now it is covered in flowers, with more buds on the way.

I was wondering if the problem was related to it drying out while at the garden centre, then recovering, but under stress. I would be interested to hear what others say, since I was quite bewildered as well.

• wilmington_islander
    18 years ago

adequate water ( but not too much) is key during flower production. Also, I have seemingly cured this problem in the past with applications of both potash and epsom salt.

• Krstofer
    18 years ago

A few of mine have done the same thing- Picked up a frederic a couple months ago.. Flower buds all over it, which all fell off. It's slowly coming back, but..

I think what happened was it's from somewhere south, and when it hit the comparatively cold nights up here all the sudden that shocked it a little too much. I bet the weather floppin' back & forth between "build a fire" and "turn up the A/C" every 3 days probably didn't help much either.

So far though, I've got caerulea, amethyst, sapphire, frederic, lady margaret, incense, and 'pink princess' (apparently a mis-named violacea hybrid) to pop at least one flower this season. So I'm doin' good so far.

• SLHARNER
    18 years ago

Gardeningmon, where are you located? I have tons of PURPLE PASSIONFLOWER I'd love to give to you. I love them and mine are so carefree and do not have to be cross pollinated, but they are solid purple. They have very few fruits. Mind do grow in the ground in part sun, part shade. I feed them time release granules plus super phosphate and water them when the weather is dry. I'm in zone 8. Your plant may very well have been stressed. I hope it is doing much better very soon. I'm in North Carolina...where are you? Wish you were in driving distance. My email is slharner@aol.com.
    Good Luck! Sara

• gardeningmom2005
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Boy has this been one heck of a month LOL~ Sorry that I haven't responded to most of you. I moved the pot to a sunnier (Is that a word? LOL) spot and it seems to be doing much better. TONS of growth and bloom and it's grabbing on to the other plants that are near it! Thanks everyone for the help! I hope to post pictures of my website soon. I need to update pictures as I have over 80 plants now :)

Sponsored