Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passiflora Insects

Posted by pollywoggin 10aFL (ginodiavonti@gmail.com) on
Fri, Jun 19, 09 at 13:04

Hi guys,
I've got an issue that is very puzzling. I have finally got my standard maypops to blooming size, and edulis soon to follow.
My problem is that after they bloom, the drying flowered buds look as though they've been eaten away, therefore no fruit! That was my entire intention for growing them!!!
At first I thought it may be a squirrel as the culprit, but now know it is not.
However, I do see some bugs on plant I will now describe:
Long, antlike body, winged, and as I observe them, they seem to only suck nectar, and not damage plants. But it's so hot outside now, I can't stay outside long enough to see if they are in fact the culprits de-flowering the plants!
I don't want to kill good insects, and even after extensive google image search, can't find picture of this insect. Will try to get photo to post later.
Also, just a moment ago, I found a small grayish beetle at the very tip of one of the deflowered stems. Is this the bugger causing damage????
Please help enthusiasists!!! The caterpillars are beautiful daymoths, and they only munch leaves it seems...but I still move them to my non-fruiting amtheyst. So what gives gang?
Thanks very much to any who can offer advice!
Nichole

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passiflora Insects

Is it an earwig? I tend to get earwigs munching my passionflowers, as well as slugs and snails. I don't have any passiflora butterflies where I live so I just spray them with an insecticide and kill 'em all.

~Ethan

o
RE: Passiflora Insects

Many years ago we had massive earwig infestations in our ground, and yes, they would munch on plants. After asking everyone I could think of,(most of which didn't believe that earwigs were eating my plants), someone told us the best advice. Ivory soap in water in a spray bottle. This will kill those puppies pretty fast and not risk harm to much else.

However, pollywoggin mentioned wings, and the earwigs we have in my area certainly do not fly, thank goodness.

Hopefully without sounding like I'm insulting your intelligence, Pollywoggin, but are you sure they were going to set fruit before they appear eaten? I would suggest cross-pollinating your flowers yourself. You will get much likelier success, and probably larger fruit. It certainly can't hurt to try, right?

Good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here