Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LL/Amethyst fruit ? Eric???

Posted by karyn1 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 13:07

I finally got fruit on my LL/Amethyst using loefgrenii pollen. We discussed amethyst fruiting recently (the plants at Butterfly World) and I've had the vine forever with no luck trying to pollinate it. As a matter of fact it was the first passion vine I ever got. Do you think that there's a good chance for viable seed? I'd mentioned this to Crystal in an email the other day but with the frequency that she checks her mail I thought I'd post to you here. lol I'd appreciate answers from anyone it's just that I'd discussed LL fruit with Eric recently.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LL/Amethyst fruit ? Eric???

Yes Karyn, that is entirely possible. P. loefgrenii is a stallion, (especially var. Iporanga), which will pollinate many species and hybrids that are difficult to get fruit on. We successfully got one fruit to take on our P. 'Amethyst' last year, but I do not recall if any of the seed have germinated. Even if they did, we had a damping off epidemic this winter, and by the time we got it under control, we lost aprox 30-50 hybrid seedlings, so they may have been in that lot.

If I recall correctly, our P. 'Amethyst' had very few viable seeds in it, so if you have the opportunity, I would create another fruit so you have more seeds to play with.

It could be a great hybrid! Isn't this fun??
Eric

o
RE: LL/Amethyst fruit ? Eric???

I did get a second fruit with the loefgrenii pollen. The loefgrenii pollen really is a stallion. I've tried pollinating the amethyst for years and have never had a fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here