Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aslan89_gw

I'm New To Passion Flower

aslan89
17 years ago

I had wanted to grow these for a long time and finally got the chance when we discovered our lacal walmart had these beautiful red passion flower vines. Since I am new to this I was wondering if anyone has any tips for propagating new plants and how to make seed. I tried it myself once or twice but to no avail. Any trick to making seed?

Comments (10)

• wirtlo
    17 years ago

I have yet to have fruit from any of my passies (as most are really young or just getting started), but if you want to propagate via cuttings - the only thing that has worked for me (and someone on gardenweb gave me this tip) is to make a cutting just below the node and stick it in wet florists foam (a few dollars in the craft section at walmart). Mine rooted right up (although it didn't work with passiflora lady lavendar).

Curiously, what kind of passion vine is it? Passiflora coccinea?

• patsy_b
    17 years ago

I have coccinea, vitiflora and lady margaret that are all basically red. My experience is that the coccinea roots easily but both others are a little more difficult. I have not tried to set fruit on any but the vitiflora. When I polinated with caerulea I did get fruit. Unfortunately the plants I got from the seed did not bloom as they should. My lady margaret set fruit on her own but the fruit was hollow.
    Patsy

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

Vitifolia is pretty common, so I suspect that's what you've got (Lady Margaret being more maroon in color). Vitifolia will set edible fruit if you pollinate it with another, non-clonal vitifolia, and the resulting seeds will grow into true vitifolia. If you cross it with something else, you may still get fruit, but the seeds (if any) will be hybrids and may grow well into something interesting, or not. There have been a number of vitifolia hybrids propogated over the years--Lady Margaret being one of them.

• Ethane Zizyphus
    17 years ago

--Correction to jblaschke's comment: There have been a number of interesting vitifolia hybrids over the years, however Lady Margaret is a hybrid of coccinea and incarnata. Just FYI.

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

D'oh! Ethane's right. My bad--that'll teach me to rely on (faulty) memory.

• nicolenanette
    17 years ago

When it comes to passionflower, the purple doesnt fruit where the whiter one of the species does fruit. I dont know latin names.
    Nicole

• chrismac_flutter
    16 years ago

Patsy or any other brain out there. Patsy said "When I polinated with caerulea I did get fruit. Unfortunately the plants I got from the seed did not bloom as they should"

How do you go about Pollinating? I feel like an OB/GYN. Is there a link for this?

Flutter

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

There's a good link below. What Myles doesn't know about passis isn't worth knowing. ;-)

Keep in mind that passis grown from seed can often take two or more years before they mature enough to flower--even a large, bushy, vigorous vine may fail to set flowers if it isn't mature enough. Incarnata is the only common passi I know of that will regularly flower in its first season.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passion Flow

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

To pollinate a flower, you just collect some pollen from one flower, either with a small brush or just your finger, and transfer it to the stigmas on another flower. Making a buzzing sound while doing this is optional.

Most Passiflora are self-incompatible, so the pollen needs to come from a different, genetically distinct vine.
    See link for more details.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pollination

• chena
    16 years ago

LOVE the BUZZING sound!!!!ROFLMBAO!!!!!!
    Chena

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor