Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
heat tolerance observations

Posted by wilmington_islander 9A/Sunset 28 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 08 at 13:12

96 yesterday ( heat index 106)...about as hot as it gets here on this island all year. I've only seen 97 once in 8 years here. Edulis, vitifolia, macrocarpa, herbertiana, caerulea, byron beauty, incense, incarnata, caerulea, and tarminiana were completely unfazed. Actinia showed signs of wilt, but sprung back to "health" overnight, when we dropped down to 75. What I was most surprised about, however, was that membranacea was also competely unfazed....this one was planted as an experiment, and fingers crossed, so far, so good.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: heat tolerance observations

As far as heat tolerance goes, I suspect the temperture of the soil is a big factor to consider. Your soil is probably relatively cool compared to areas with long hot summers.

o

I have also been observing the heat tolerance of my passiflora's. Mainly with my tacsonias. X exoniensis, manicata 'Linda escobar', and 'Susan Brigham'. They seem to grow fine if dappled shade to bright shade. They get morning sun for a few hours and then an hour of light just before dark. When that 1 hour of late afternoon sun hits them the top 6 inches of growth nods down and wilts but once the sun is off of it they perk back up. They are still growing very fast but did drop the flower buds. We had a few days of 105 F and the buds dropped instantly. Hopefully they will resume blooming in the fall.

o

passi4thewin please keep me updated.! And your hunch ( and mine, too, I suppose) is correct: the membranacea is in almost full shade and the tarminiana gets full sun for 7 hours, and then partly shade. We have excellent air circulation and I live dead on the 32nd parallel, with about 1/2 mile of uplands separtating my house from the marsh to Wassaw Sound and the Atlantic. Soil temperature is currently 81.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here