Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passiflora allantophylla

Posted by more_to_grow z6CT (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 28, 05 at 13:41

I have had this little plant for three years now. It summers in the front yard in the partial shade of a holly bush and flourishes there, the flowers are tiny nickel sized versions of larger passion flowers. In the winter I bring it into my pantry under a compact flourescent bulb array on a timer for eight-twelve hour light. My problem is that periodically, with no pattern regularity that I have observed, it goes into decline to the point where I feel I am going to lose it, only to vigorously return. recently it declined, late this spring, and the plant is still struggling, out in its place in the front yard same as previous summers, it is just not having an easy time of it and I am looking for others who may have experience with this species or who have had similar experience with other Passifloraceae.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passiflora allantophylla

Hmm
A tricky one. Firstly it is a Decaloba which means that it will not be trying to die back over winter like P. incarnata for example. I have not grown this particular Decaloba species, but the first thing I suggest for any rare plant is to take cuttings and share them about just in case. Also tip it out of the pot to check the roots-they should be nice and white-too many brown roots suggests that it is too wet-if in doubt keep it on the dry side. Its variations may be caused by roots rotting then it producing new ones. It may benefit from being repotted or given a high Potassium fertilizer. I use Rosefood or Ericaceous plant food. Tomato fertilizer will be ok too.

I also think that your winter routine with artificial light may be stressing the plant. Decaloba will do well over winter in a South facing window with natural light and most importantly water sparingly from below only and keep an oscillating fan on it. The fan helps keep the plant transpiring and is more important than anything else to help overwintering. When moved out leaves grown indoors are not suitable for outdoor use-so the plant usually disposes of them to grow fresh ones-very stressful. So move out into full shade to start with and later progress to full sun. Further if you put it out to early it can induce a type of dormancy.

It may also have predator problems-red spider mite are tricky to spot-check under the leaves with a magnifying glass.

Hope this is of help.
Myles

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora growing tips.

o
RE: Passiflora allantophylla

Myles,
Thank you for your input. I indeed agree that the winter light is a problem, this winter I will setup as you have suggested and see what happens. The roots look healthy and I tend to err on the side of under than over water, as for food I use miracle grow every other watering which nets to twice a month. I believe I will try a higher potassium formulation as you have suggested.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here