Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vigis_dove

Passiflora Parritae

vigis_dove
14 years ago

Does ANYONE have a cutting?? I have been scouring the internet, and caNNot find anything! Also I was wondering how the plants were doing that you posters found some years ago! TY in advance

Comments (17)

• eristal
    14 years ago

I'm sorry that I don't have a cutting... but I have seen it for sale. There is a user on Ebay selling them in a gallon planter. They usually go for a LOT of money. I am pretty sure he gets them for $15 at Strybing arboretum in SF. That is about the only place readily propagating them that I know of. They usually have some available at their plant sales. If you have any friends in the area, that would be your best bet.

Not to be a continual downer, but you realize they are VERY picky. Not too hot, not too cold, not too much humidity.... sheesh. You may want to try the recent hybrid made with P. antiquienensis, called P. Mission Delores. I believe it is somewhat easier to grow and has similar flowers.

Just my $.02

Eric

• mark4321_gw
    14 years ago

Eric,

The Ebay seller who just sold a 1 gallon plant for $440 is definitely getting his plants from Strybing. He sells P. parritae, antioquiensis and 'Mission Dolores', exactly the plants that Strybing sells, and they "look" like Strybing plants in 1 gallon pots. However, what nails it are the orange plant labels you can see in many of the pots--that's what Strybing uses.

I've been to 3 Strybing monthly sales and have never seen P. parritae--that doesn't mean they won't have it at some point. I have heard they have it at their big sales.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

That seller (and 2 others) are really annoying me. I know it shouldn't bother me, it's no skin off my teeth but I'm sure he's buying up all he can during the Strybing sales, maybe having others buy for him as well and putting them up on Ebay. I guess I should say more power to him as nobody is forcing anyone to bid.... I keep telling a friend on this forum that he should flood Ebay with inexpensive tasconias. lol

I have a few tasconias (no parritae but a cross) and am going to keep them in the greenhouse with the shade cloth, exhaust fans and mister going once our temps get high. We are having an unseasonably cool, wet spring and all are doing beautifully now but it gets really hot here towards the end of the summer.

• mark4321_gw
    14 years ago

Grassy Knoll Exotics sells Tacsonias for $15 in 4 inch pots. Right now they have P. antioquiensis available, as well as a hybrid I've not heard of and several other species that you can be put on a wait list for. A friend of mine was on the wait list for P. antioquiensis recently and it was only 3 or 4 weeks. They sold P. x exoniensis until very recently, which seems to be missing for some reason.

Kartuz also sells P. x exoniensis:

http://www.kartuz.com/pc/68067/5PAS/Passiflora+exoniensis.html

I've ordered from Grassy Knoll a couple times and visited Kartuz a few times. I would recommend them both highly--they have quality plants and are run by great people.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grassy Knoll's Tacsonias

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Elizabeth seems to be getting the wait listed plants available pretty quickly. I put my name down for several a few weeks ago and 3 or 4 have already come in.

• eristal
    14 years ago

Well, I went to the Strybing plant sale this morning, and they had no more P. parritae or P. Mission Delores available. I asked Dave about it, and he checked for me. He found a 4" planter of P. parritae that they wanted $20 for! They got wise to the Ebay guy. That's great on one hand, but terrible for those of us who aren't trying to just make a buck... How about they just say "Only one per person"? I don't know, it's a little frustrating.

I'll keep trying for those of you who are not nearby, as I go to at least 3 or 4 Strybing sales per year.

Eric

• jkrup44
    14 years ago

I can also vouch for Grassy Knoll. I ordered from them and was happy with what I got.

• daveh_sf
    14 years ago

Hi eristal,

Actually in the past when we've had parritae available (which isn't very often) it has always sold for a premium. At Strybing our goal is to get a lot of unusual and choice plants to appreciative gardeners, rather than to get top dollar in all cases. But some of the very hard to propagate plants (like parritae) we have to sell for higher prices to restrict demand and thus to insure that casual buyers who wouldn't know what they are or how to care for the plants won't wind up getting them.

• eristal
    14 years ago

Fair enough, Dave...

I wasn't trying to talk bad about Strybing. I LOVE it there! But I have seen huge plants in gallon planters for under $20 of both mentioned above in the past. Perhaps you had more available at the time... supply and demand and all that jazz...

Anyway, no offense meant.

Happy Gardening!
    Eric

• mark4321_gw
    14 years ago

Hi Eric,

$20 isn't really much to pay for a 4" pot of P. parritae. Grassy Knoll charges $15 for 4" pots of P. edulis, P. caerulea and P. incarnata. We are really pretty spoiled out here.

• mark4321_gw
    14 years ago

Just in case anyone is curious about exactly what we are talking about, I took a picture of the plants I picked up today. The P. parritae is actually not mine, I arranged in advance to pick it up for someone else. So from left to right with prices:

Begonia luxurians $6
    Passiflora parritae $20
    Passiflora 'Mission Dolores' (parritae x antioquiensis) $15
    Brugmansia vulcanicola $10
    Deppea splendens $12

No doubt some people are aware that the Brugmansia and the Deppea are also sold for obscene prices on Ebay in the rare instances they are available. Not only are these rare and typically very expensive plants, they are also spectacular, and it's great that Strybing lets us enjoy these plants for what in many cases is a nominal price. Of course we can do our best to propagate the plants and continue the process.

Hopefully I can keep these guys alive.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

All I can say is it's a good thing that I don't live in the Bay area and I haven't visited Strybing during one of their plant sales or I'd be in trouble. It's one of my favorite arboretums. Luckily I do know someone who has been nice enough to pick up some of my wants and ship them to me but being on the East Coast and with the cost of shipping it limits my purchases.

As for $20 for a P. parritae in a 4" pot I think that's quite reasonable. You should see what they get here for even the most common passies.

• stefaniama
    13 years ago

Hi, anybody wants to trade passiflora parritae rooted cutting or plant with other passiflora's plant? I've got thunbergia grandiflora and many other plant too! Want you help me? Thanks to all.
    stefania

• voodoobrew
    13 years ago

HELP!!! My Passiflora parritae (originally from UCB) was quite large, healthy and growing fast. Today I noticed that the leaves looked fried, and I saw that something had knocked it over, and cut it completely at the base. This may have been a large raccoon, because a bag of rocks was also dragged all the way across my deck...

Anyhow, I am VERY upset about this, and while I've tried to take cuttings, I think it's too late as we've had 80 - 90 degree temperatures for days (I have been watering daily and keeping a close eye on this plant).

Will it re-sprout from the roots?? Boy, I hope so, because I don't know when I'll ever find another. :( UUGGHHH!!!

• socalbill
    13 years ago

Voodoobrew, good luck! Might I suggest you try cuttings with some of the older semi-woody material as long as it has already been broken off. I've got the plant shown in the posting by Mark 4321 posted above on June 14, 09. It is now very very large because it has been in the ground for a year. It has not bloomed yet, but grows like a weed. I've been layering it quite successfully, but only with semi-woody material. Young soft green material won't layer well and isn't good at rooting as cuttings either. I screwed up and lifted the last batch of layers just before our last hot spell when it hit 106 in my back yard at 11:30 in the morning. One hot day turned 19 layers into 14 and the mites went wild. I've never had a shoot come up from below ground when I've been layering so don't hold your breath on getting it to come back from the roots. You never know, depending on how far up the stem it was broken, you might get a dormant bud to start growing. What have you got to lose by trying.

• voodoobrew
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advice, socalbill. This definitely ruined my day, sigh! It is broken truly at the base; there isn't much above ground. In fact, the main woody stem that broke seems to have a small root attached. Or, that may just be my wishful thinking... in any case, I've potted it up. Yeah, I highly doubt the stem cuttings will root; they were fairly well fried from being in the heat for several hours before I noticed what had happened. Man, that must have been one huge raccoon. I guess I've learned my lesson not to plant this under a tree which is a "wildlife highway" in my yard. :(

Well, fingers crossed that I can get another plant. I recently purchased a P. parritae X atropurpurea at a college hort. sale that was apparently a cast-off hybrid of Strybing's because it looks more like atropurpurea. We shall see!

• stefaniama
    13 years ago

any news about your parritae cuttings? Is your plant still alive? I hope so!good luck!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus