Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillgall_gw

clear sky passion flopwer won't make blooms

jillgall
14 years ago

Hello,

I recently planted a "clear sky" passion flower and although the leaves are growing profusely there are no blooms.

I have another variety passion flower plant growing nearby that is full of blooms. Is there some way to help or force the blooms for the Clear sky?

Thank you/

Comments (5)

• jblaschke
    14 years ago

I've encountered the same problem. My Clear Sky's been in the ground for two years. Knowing my caerulea had been reluctant to flower the first year, I didn't give it much thought. But now my Clear Sky is quite large and has produced not so much as a bud. Any experience with this?

• eristal
    14 years ago

I'm afraid I don't have Clear Sky, so the only help that I may be able to offer is my experience with other caeruleas, (caerulea, Constance Elliot, and a couple of other unnamed caerulea sports, one of which is suspiciously similar to Clear Sky in flower size and vigor). They are all in full, all day, harsh sun. They bloom extremely hard, (20-40 flowers per day on some) without fail from April to July or so. They also don't get that much water, only a 1/2 gallon per hour dripper for 10 minutes per day in warm months. Granted, they are many years old, but they have bloomed well from year one in that exposure with that much water.

I know it isn't great advice, but perhaps it will help a tad. Good luck!

Eric

• jblaschke
    14 years ago

Thanks Eric. Unfortunately that doesn't help me. My CE is in full sun. My caerulea is in partial shade. My Clear Sky is in light morning shade. None of them get much supplemental water at all. The Clear Sky just doesn't want to set buds.

• jkrup44
    14 years ago

Hi. I just got a P. caerulea 'Clear Sky'. It is young and doesn't have any buds on it yet, but I will let you know what I see in the future.

• peanut01
    14 years ago

Keep waiting - my first season with clear skies I did not get many blooms and the ones I got were late. I am in VA and have it in a near tropical microclimate outside. I grew them in the ground the first year then it died down to the ground then the next year it shot up starting mid to late june and bloomed profusely then died back to the ground again. Now there are babies coming up everywhere and I salvaged a baby in a pot and overwintered it inside. It has alway bloomed for me.

Here is how I care for my 'Clear Skies' which is in the ground - they come back every year and bloom about 1 - 2 months later than my potted Passi.

Full Sun - No fertilizer - VA Red Clay - Rain

I have great results from these plants year after year. And they multiply like crazy(i think through the roots).

Here is how I care for my potted Passi which is about 3 years old now, over 20 ft long and the base of the vine has a circumference of 1.5 inches.

Potted in 20" Plastic pot one drainage hole. All generic potting mix. I water when dry or when I see any leave yellowing which could be due to lack of water or too much heat. So basically I water this plant only because I water the others that are near it. I have never seen this plant scream out to me saying it was thirsty. I did throw in a handful of timed release fertizer with this plant though. But I have about 20 or so 2 year old yucca growing in the pot with it from a seed pod that somehow ended u[ in this pot. I will have to remove them before their roots destroy the passi.

I hope I helped a little at least in describing how easy these plants potentialy can be to care for and make bloom. A lot of gardeners use a heavy fertiler on these plants to promote flowering I hear. Like a 10-50-10 blend. I have not proven this fertilizer to increase blooms or not so you may want to wait for someone to confer with me.

Peanut01

Sponsored