Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Stem shape

karyn1
16 years ago

I grew some P. alata and P. triloba from cuttings. They have similar foliage but one has a round stem, the other is square. I can't remember which is which? Of course Kyle pulled the tags from the mature plants and I don't have pics of the foliage, just the blooms.

Karyn

Comments (8)

• abdielg
    16 years ago

I have never seen triloba, but I know for sure that alata
    has a quadrangular stem.

• chena
    16 years ago

Hey!!!
    My P.triloba has a square stem.. not with ridges on the corners like P. preciosa. The P. alata I started from seed that I traded for but it is round.. It hasn't bloomed.. maybe up in the air what it really is..LOL I tried to take a pic but I need batt's... My triloba has heart shaped leaves and the alata is just pointed on the end..
    Chena

• chena
    16 years ago

abdielg.. could post a pick of the leaves on your P.alata?? Wonder what this one is..LOL The leaves are dark and kind of shiny and the veins are a red color.. any clue???
    Chena

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'd better go put new markers in the pots before I forget. Actually I'd better write directly on the containers too just in case the little beast goes on another tag pulling spree. Both those varieties root so easily in water for me. Chena my P. alata's new growth is dark and shiny with red veins that disappear as the leaf matures. The shine also diminishes.
    Karyn

• chena
    16 years ago

Thanks!!!! I was starting to wonder... I have P.ligularis that I sarted from seed it is getting red veins.. is that going to be temperary or is that a trait?

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

My p_alata (seed grown) has a square stem. The stem does seem to have ridges on the corners. It has large oval leaves that come to a point at the end. I don't have any red veining in mine. The leaves are dark green. I hope it is what it is supposed to be because it hasn't actually bloomed yet but looks like the pics that I have seen of the p_alata vine and leaves. This is its second year, it was slow growing last year but is really taking off now. Now it is about 8ft tall (woulda been taller but the wind broke it off). It has a heavy textured leaf and vine. I can't wait to see it bloom.
    Chena you will have to post pictures when your preciosa blooms (still kicking myself for not ordering that one LOL :P )

~SJN

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is the alata flower from last season. I should have looked at this earlier. I can see the square stem. Duh!
    Karyn

• chena
    16 years ago

I have been out potting up and checking on things. My P. alata is small and put on about an inch of growth in the past couple of days.. The first 4" of stem is round and thin the new growth is thicker, square and has the ridge on the corners of the stem.. My camera is a POS.. and I hope to get a new one this weekend ..Well if my husband can take a hint anyway..LOL.. I'll post a pic if I can..
    Chena

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville