Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passion Flower at Lowes

Posted by triciaIL z4b/5aIL (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 3, 05 at 15:00

Has anyone seen the passion flowers at your local Lowes? I was just wondering what kind they sell there. The tag just says passiflora, full sun, and cautions that they fruit. When open the flower petals are white and purple. I am new to passion flowers and was wondering if the ones they have are a good kind to buy. Thanks, Tricia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passion Flower at Lowes

At my Lowes they sell caerulea (flower white w/blue corona - 5 lobed leaves), 'Lady Margaret' (flower red, corona white - tri-lobed leaves), 'Belotii' (large flower with alternating pink and lt. purple petals/sepals - tri lobed leaves), and 'Incense' (5 to 7 lobes, bright purple flowers with a lot of curly filaments).

Do you remember how many lobes that the leaves had of the ones that you saw?

~Tiger

o

Mine had those mentioned and 2 unusual varieties--Jelly Joker and Aurantia. They are struggling with south Louisiana's extreme heat. I will be repotting them and moving them to the shade. These would be perfect for your zone however. Jelly joker is a stronge solid purple--good color. Aurantia is orange/yellow with red center fillaments. Both are great vines.

o

I got one of the Aurantias at the Lowes in Temple. It had a picture of Incense on the label and the write up on it said white blooms with purple center. I did a google to find out what it was. Wonderful find. Covered with blooms when I got it and continues to put on growth and buds. I was worried that the 90 degree heat we had las week would bother it but so far it is doing great.

Patsy

o

My aurantia is still setting buds but the leaves droop in the afternoon sun. It is less stressed than jelly joker. These vines are not for this much heat, I'm afraid.

o

This is strange. We had 90+ degree temps last week with high humidity and mine did not droop at all. Wonder why? Flicker what kind of sun conditions do you have yours in? I have mine on the sw side of my house where it gets filtered sun from a climbing rose bush. I did upgrade the pot it was in from a gallon to a 5 gallon size. It may die tomorrow but so far it is doing great in those conditions.

Patsy

o

I think filtered sun would work better than the full sun mine is in. Both pf are in large permanent planters. I can transplant both vines to pots that will give them almost the same chance that I have to survive the horrible summer torture.

o

I've seen the same ones mentioned. I bought one at Lowe's and thought it turned out to be Cary... maybe it is jelly joker. What does jelly joker look like? Does someone know of a link to an image?

o

I just found a picture at Myles' site. That is what I bought at Lowe's.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here