Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jost4318

P. Exoniensis blooming

jost4318
9 years ago

My P. Exoniensis bloomed yesterday however I couldnt get a pic of it until today because it was pouring outside -- proof you can grow tacsonia in central florida

Comments (7)

• morningloree
    9 years ago

How wonderful! What conditions do you have it growing in as far as sun exposure, etc? I live in Lake Mary and probably have the same growing conditions that you have.

• RetiredFlorida
    9 years ago

Nice. It seems they just need the right conditions, certainly out of the sun for some. Interested in where you have this growing as well. Thanks for sharing.

• jost4318
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I currently have this growing in a relatively shady spot inbetween my house and our neighbors house. It gets some morning sun and late evening sun while getting shade during mid day and the afternoon. I have some mulch over the flower bed to help keep the soil moist and to help keep the soil temperature down. The vine has been grown up an arbor that I built along with a p.caerulea x loefgrenii and a p.incarnata. it doesnt seem to mind the heat at all as long as the soil stays moist. This particular exoniensis has tarminiana and antioquiensis parentage unlike the traditional mollissima and antioquiensis. This is made apparent by the wider leaves and the greenish white backside of the petals on the flower. I bought this plant in a 4" pot at kartuz greenhouses and I have only had it since december. The vine itself is only about 20 ft long now because it didnt really start growing quickly until it was put in the ground.

• morningloree
    9 years ago

I now have an 'Oaklandia' that I am experimenting with in these conditions: part sun and mulch around the base. Congratulations again on your bloom. I think in Florida, some passionflowers like a break from the sun. I have P. vitifolia and it has grown large, surprisingly it branched out into the shade and bloomed.

• RetiredFlorida
    9 years ago

Thanks Jost4318. I would like to try growing that one as well, very helpful.

Dawn, put your oaklandia in full sun and keep it watered. It doesn't seem to mind the water nor does it mind full sun. I've had several of the small potted plants and of course the one I have in the ground and they all did well in full sun. Mine continues to grow in this heat.

• morningloree
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tip, will do.

• morningloree
    9 years ago

In Central Florida:
    Blooming/ Bloomed
    Lunametista
    Lavander Lady
    P. loefgrenii
    P. vitifolia
    Unknown red ( supposed to be Racemosa)