Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
s_p8987

A whole bunch of ??s from a passinewbie

s_p8987
15 years ago

Hi y'all!

I recently ordered some passiflora seeds online and I am wondering about how to grow them. I soaked them and planted them but none have germinated in over a week. Was I supposed to nick them?

Here are some more questions

- what are some reputable seed/plant sources for passiflora (can be online, or near Austin, Tx)

- where can I find Passiflora 'Coral seas' or 'coral glow' (not sure of the correct cultivar name

- Do passiflora do well in 8b, Austin, Tx?

I'm new to this forum, and if any of y'all could help me, that'd be great!

Comments (3)

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I'm no passie expert but do grow several varieties including a number from seed. I wouldn't expect any passie seed to sprout in a week and I've had some that have taken almost a year. Fresher seed is usually better but many varieties can be successfully dried and stored and retain viability. I soak dry passie seeds in orange juice for a day or two prior to sowing then keep the soil warm and barely moist, not wet and wait. I do not nick the seeds.

There's several reliable nurseries that sell passiflora plants. Zone 9 Tropicals, Grassy Knolls, Glasshouse Works, Kartuz and Caldwell Nursery. I'm sure there's others as well. I know that Caldwell is in Rosenburg TX but have no idea where that is in relation to Austin and it's supposed to be a great nursery to visit. Zone 9 is also in TX but I think it's only online sales. They probably sell the biggest, healthiest plants I've received from any online nursery. Grassy Knolls has the biggest selection. I have Coral Seas and purchased it from one of those nurseries. Some hardy passies can remain inground year round in zone 8 but most will probably need winter protection. Hope this helps and I'm sure one of the passie experts will chime in.
    Karyn

• roxxanne
    15 years ago

Karyn, do think that most passies will winter over dormant in a cool garage? I tried to keep my mollissima and purple grenadilla in my dining room in front of the sliding glass doors. The grenadilla did great but the mollissima didn't make it, they were so pretty too, it made me sad. I kept cerulea and incarnata in the garage and they did great. I was hoping to try a few more kinds in the garage. I recently got a belotti and wanted to try another mollissima and I have seeds to start for flavicarpa and adenopoda. What do you think????
    Roxanne

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I'd think that only cold hardy or semi hardy passies would be able to withstand a cold dormancy. My P. belotii didn't make it through the winter even though it's supposed to be hardy to zone 7a. I keep my mollissima and edulis as well as most of my others in a greenhouse over the winter. My incarnata, incense and caerulea do fine outside year round.
    Karyn

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH