Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
passionlove

Incarnata setting fruit with hybrids???

passionlove
15 years ago

Ok a couple of questions here:

I had one stem that recovered from my dying incarnata and now it is growing like a weed with buds everywhere. I have been hand-pollinating my Lady Margaret and Inspiration with it and they are setting fruit. It has only been working with fresh pollen. Several times I have used pollen that is stored in my fridge for only a few days. I keep the pollen in a folded piece of paper in a jar with a desiccant bag. Has everyone else had better success with fresh pollen?

With the fresh incarnata pollen I like to take off the pollinator from the flower instead of just using a brush. Maybe that is the trick to getting enough pollen on the stimas. hmmmm...

Also, surprisingly my incarnata has also set new fruit. Could the Lady Margaret or Inspiration be the donors??? I thought that they were pretty much sterile.

Thanks for your replies!!!

Oh and another exciting thing... I have finally seen hummingbirds in FL. They have been going crazy in my garden!

Comments (7)

• MissSherry
    15 years ago

Congrats on the hummingbird! I'm lucky enough to have lots of them.
    I've read that Lady Margaret has no pollen, and mine sure didn't. Unfortunately, it didn't come back this year. I guess the p. coccinea part of its heritage made it too cold sensitive?
    If I ever create my own hybrids, I'll just pick off a pollen thingy and apply it directly to the female part of the flower I want to be the mother plant - no refrigerator or brush for me! People probably put the pollen in the fridge if they're waiting for the mother plant to bloom - they don't all bloom at the same time.
    Sherry

• jblaschke
    15 years ago

I haven't had any luck with stored pollen either. I just pluck the anthers and apply the pollen from that to the target plant.

Lady Margaret produces no pollen. Red Inca is a similar hybrid with the same parents, but I don't know if it produces pollen, either. Inspiration is a tetraploid re-creation of the cross that gave us Incense, so in theory it shouldn't be able to pollinate any non-tetraploid passis because of the chromosome difference. However, Myles Irvine has had some tetraploids fruit with non-tetraploid pollination, and my Inspiration produced a fruit last season with one mature seed in it (sadly, that seed never sprouted). So who knows with the crosses. I'd expect a tetraploid like Inspiration would be more likely to cross with another tetraploid, such as Clear Skies. No idea about the pollen viability on these types, though.

• passionlove
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your posts!
    My incarnata is setting fruit like crazy. It can't help but think that this one self fertile. I have to hand pollinate my other passifloras almost all of the time to get any fruits and they are not too far to my incarnata vine. The incarnata on the other hand has no other donors that could be close to be setting so many fruit.

• kiwinut
    15 years ago

There are likely wild incarnata all over that part of Florida and bees can bring in pollen from miles away. The only way to know if it is selfing is to bag an unopened flower, then when it has bloomed, briefly unbag it, transfer pollen from anthers to stigma, then re-bag. If you then get fruit, you have a self-fertile Maypop.

I have tested several here and a couple will self, but the fruits they set are tiny compared to open pollinated fruits on the same vines. Even when the wild incarnatas on my property stop blooming around the first week of Sep., my Incense keeps setting fruit like crazy, even though I'm almost certain there are no blooming incarnatas within a half mile. The bumblebees that work the flowers heavily are covered with pollen, so its coming from somewhere.

• passionlove
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmm,
    Thanks kiwinut I'll try your bag test. I do have an inspiration vine that is pretty close by that is constantly blooming, and it is supposedly sterile BUT The anthers are quite pollinated unlike the lady margaret.
    Anyway, I'll let you know what happens after I try the bag test. By the way, some of the fruit on my incarnata is pretty large.

• kiwinut
    15 years ago

Are the fruits heavy? Inspiration is very fertile, but since it is tetraploid, any fruit on your diploid incarnata that was the result of Inspiration pollen would probably have very few seeds. If the fruit are heavy with seeds, then I doubt the Inspiration is doing the pollinating.

• passionlove
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey kiwinut,
    I never had a chance to try the bag method, but a stem from the same plant is in my porch and it has not had fruit, but it only had 2 flowers so far.
    The incarnata outside has large fruit that ripened. This year my fruits are ready in a little over a month. It was filled with seeds and the seeds were actually a little larger then my usual incarnata seeds. So now I got some unknown seeds. I think it may be an incarnata crossed with an inspiration.
    So, if anyone is interested in some seeds please let me know.

Sponsored