Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
*&$@ Squirrels!!!!!

Posted by karyn1 MD 7 (bhkalen@aol.com) on
Thu, Jun 21, 07 at 16:05

Is there something tasty about passiflora buds? I thought it was kind of unusual that some varieties weren't blooming even though I thought I'd seen buds. The squirrels are picking them off and eating them!!! I have so had it with the woodland critters this season. First it was the birds, chipmunks, rabbits and deer, now the damn squirrels. They are also burying peanuts (that some fool is feeding them) in my containers and the chipmunks are digging them up. I could understand the squirrels going after the fruit but why the buds? I got a recipe for a nasty concoction meant to keep the deer away. I'll spray it on the passies and see if that stops the squirrels. It smells so bad that I can't spray it without gagging! lol
Karyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: *&$@ Squirrels!!!!!

Wow Karyn, you sure are having problems this year! I guess I should be thankful for just having bug and bird problems.
I think you should get a BB gun and start target practicing on them lol. Deer are really persistant critters, we used to have a 12 ft high deck that had a narrow winding staircase to it. I had herbs planted up there and those crazy deer would climb the stairs up to the deck in broad daylight and eat my herbs. I started keeping my dog out there for awhile and she would chase them off but soon as she came back in, here come the deer..
~SJN

o

We have some bold wildlife here and the only thing that runs away are the chipmunks. My dog will chase the squirrels but they get just out of her reach and taunt her. She doesn't chase rabbits because she was trained not to bother our pet rabbits and she can't tell the difference. As for the deer they just stand there and eat, completely ignoring Bailey. I'm afraid a buck will attack her with it's antlers if she tries to do anything. She's not a small dog either. She's a shepard/doberman mix but she's a wimp. This has been the worst year for wildlife damage here. I've been in this house for 21 years and it's never been like this. I don't know what the reason is. There's plenty of food in the woods and there's no construction to speak of in this area. I joke about it but I'm really pissed off.
Karyn

PS: If I shot a BB gun around here I'd end up in jail! I couldn't shoot an animal anyway. I don't even kill bugs. lol

o

A BB gun won't kill an animal. Won't even break the skin--just sting them something fierce. And BB guns are air pressure propelled, so the only sound them make is a soft *poof*. Haven't you ever watched "A Christmas Story"? (You'll shoot your eye out! ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here