Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Virus?

Posted by sedum_gal z8, Seattle (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 16:05

Hi Gardenwebbers,

I'm not very experienced with Passifloras, and I'm not sure what to make of this one...
I was given a whole bunch of seedlings, labeled P. lutea. The flowers are very small and yellow. Some have this sickly variegation (looks virused, to me)----others are just fine.
My questions:

1) IS this a virus, and should I yank the affected ones?

2) Do any of you want to trade? The healthy (normal looking) plants should flower this year, and I'd love to expand my passiflora collection.

Thanks!

~Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Virus?

It could be Cucumber mosaic virus. Take a look at this link, which describes Passiflora leaf diseases and shows images of the diseased leaves to help with i.d.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora diseases

o
RE: Virus?

• Posted by mark4321 10a CA Sunset 16/17 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 18:19

It really reminds me of what I saw in my previous P. membranacea plant (when I was living in a different location). I was assured by several people that the problem was chlorosis, and that's just what it looked like in that species. Both P. membranacea and P. lutea are Decalobas, so closely related. It's reasonable to think that the same problem should look similar. For my P. membranacea, the problem seemed to be worse with high temperatures and lots of sun.

Here's what I was told is chlorotic P. membranacea. It looks piinkish in spots because the undersides of the leaves are often purple.

chlorotic membranacea leaves photo membranacea_chlorotic.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here