Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picture ID

Posted by mboston 9(fl) (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 4, 06 at 16:34

I know there is a gallery but I couldn't get it to take my picture so I will try here.

I got this Passi at Lowe's a couple of months ago. It has grown SO much and has tons of blooms. Is it an Amethyst? It has three lobed leaves the label said Purple Passionvine, Pfordi or something like that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picture ID

You're correct--that's an Amethyst. Or possibly Lavendar Lady. The two hybrids are practically identical, and the only sure way to tell them apart is to pollinate them with p. caerulea or somesuch. Amethyst will usually set fruit and produce a few seeds, while Lavendar Lady won't. Adding to the confusion is the fact that Lavendar Lady used to be a synonym for Amethyst in years past, before the new "Lavendar Lady" hybrid was released.

o

Cool! I do have a Passiflora Caerulea so I may try that. Do I j ust take some of the pollen from the Caerulea with a q tip and put it on the stamen of the Amethyst?

o

I'm glad that I looked at this post. That's the unknown passiflora that has taken over my patio! lol It's never set fruit but I haven't attempted to cross pollinate with any other variety. It's not one of my favorites but it does bloom profusely!

o

I have one with loads of fruit. Is the fruit edible? One web site said it was poisonous and the other said the fruits are delicious. I donm't know whom to ask for sure

o

Fruits will not be poisonous, but they may not taste good. Only way to find out is to eat one.

o

I usually just grab a caerulea flower and go around painting the others w/ it.

I have both lavender & amethyst- They are *impossible* to tell apart side by side- As was mentioned above, amethyst fruits, lavender is sterile.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here